Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Well, I've about had it with waiting...

I'm thinking about getting the high-end rMBP 15" refurbed for $2100.

My good ol' 2007 Santa Rosa (2.2 Duo) is running fine - other than it has ALWAYS been a George Foreman grill for my wrists.

I don't even understand Apple's pricing on the Air v the Pro - once you beef up an Air, you're basically hitting Pro pricing.

I realize no one can foresee the future - but I am really hoping to get another seven years out of my next MBP. I can't ever upgrade it - and I don't suspect we'll ever see anything that uses lightening ports anymore than we've ever seen anything use firewire - at least anything affordable.

But the MAIN issue - in normal use, running Photoshop, Illustrator, Windows 7 in VMware, Sublime, and Chrome - can anyone let me know if the machine gets hot?

I'm running smcFanControl, relating a temperature of 129 degrees with my apps running through my 3 spaces.

My other option is to bump up to 6GB of memory and pay to have a SSD installed, hoping that might cool this Santa Rosa down and give her plenty of juice for Mavericks.

Any thoughts/ideas/whatnot are greatly appreciated. Also, I had the logic board replaced for free by Apple about 4 years ago, even though it was out of warranty, because it had that bad GPU. Only relating that pertaining to the possibility of upgrading this machine with the SSD and RAM.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Well, I've about had it with waiting...

I'm thinking about getting the high-end rMBP 15" refurbed for $2100.

My good ol' 2007 Santa Rosa (2.2 Duo) is running fine - other than it has ALWAYS been a George Foreman grill for my wrists.

I don't even understand Apple's pricing on the Air v the Pro - once you beef up an Air, you're basically hitting Pro pricing.

I realize no one can foresee the future - but I am really hoping to get another seven years out of my next MBP. I can't ever upgrade it - and I don't suspect we'll ever see anything that uses lightening ports anymore than we've ever seen anything use firewire - at least anything affordable.

But the MAIN issue - in normal use, running Photoshop, Illustrator, Windows 7 in VMware, Sublime, and Chrome - can anyone let me know if the machine gets hot?

I'm running smcFanControl, relating a temperature of 129 degrees with my apps running through my 3 spaces.

My other option is to bump up to 6GB of memory and pay to have a SSD installed, hoping that might cool this Santa Rosa down and give her plenty of juice for Mavericks.

Any thoughts/ideas/whatnot are greatly appreciated. Also, I had the logic board replaced for free by Apple about 4 years ago, even though it was out of warranty, because it had that bad GPU. Only relating that pertaining to the possibility of upgrading this machine with the SSD and RAM.

129C? The highest I've seen on my rMBP (specs in sig) is 87C, and that was while playing Elder Scrolls Online. Sometimes the keyboard area gets a little warm when in a game, but not hot enough for concern. For the apps you mention, I have yet to see my machine heat up much at all while running them. The SSD won't affect the heat generated by your current machine much, because that's just one tiny piece of the system.

One other note, you seem a little concerned about Thunderbolt in the new MBP, but they also have USB 3.0. For 99% of all peripherals, you won't see a decrease in performance jumping from Thunderbolt to USB 3.0. Another reason to consider a new machine is that your current one will likely start getting "phased out" in the next 2-3 years as newer software and versions of OS X up their minimum requirements.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Sometimes the keyboard area gets a little warm when in a game, but not hot enough for concern. For the apps you mention, I have yet to see my machine heat up much at all while running them. The SSD won't affect the heat generated by your current machine much, because that's just one tiny piece of the system.

Well, I did the dirty - just made the purchase on my shiny new Apple.

This is the first time I've ever bought a new Mac when it wasn't an absolute necessity. To make myself feel better, I went ahead and got the 18 month "free"" financing. If the shiny new Apple gives me the "get-up-n-go" to expand my business to even one new client, she'll pay for herself :)

I've read all the rumors, done everything I possibly can to protect myself from getting mauled by Apple completely shifting gears - to the point that my shiny new Mac appears obsolete compared to whatever it is they dream up in the Wonka factory for later this year...

But I do sincerely hope Apple just stays focused on their iGadgets and doesn't make me feel stupid later this year. All I've even read about is some new 12" display - which no matter how cool, simply doesn't cut it - and possibly some new trackpad device. 15" is a requirement as most of my clients are older and would just be annoyed, squinting to view a 12" display, no matter how awesome it might be.

Of course, I felt the same instant remorse when I bought my current MBP - and she's served me exceptionally well for seven years. I've never been very good at making big decisions...

Now to head over to Amazon - does anyone have any recommendations for covers and keyboard protectors? My poor ol' Santa Rosy is looking ghetto with all of her wear and tear - thought I'd do a better job this time around of making certain the new girl is better protected.

Thanks to everyone here for all of your advice and info.

With 16GB of memory, an extra dedicated GPU, the latest, fastest SSD... if anyone cares to help me feel better about what an INCREDIBLE forward-thinking decision I've made, I'd be ever so grateful :)

And the "help" girl had me purchase a mini-DVI to DVI connector for my external monitor that apparently slides into my Thunderbolt 2 port - that sounded really odd to me, so do tip me off if that was a goof. I'd rather have a dock that manages the DVI and my old "super-fast" Firewire drives - so suppose I'll look into that on Amazon as well.

Guess I'll have to wait to be happy until she gets here, I crank her up, and get "AMAZED" at how wonderful my new toy is gonna be.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.