Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Facebook Updates 'Paper' App With Birthdays, Events, Photo Comments and More

Facebook has updated its news creation and curation app Paper with birthdays, events, group updates, photo comments and much more, filling in the app with features from the "main" Facebook app that users have requested since its debut.
Quote:
Thanks again for your feedback on Paper. We've been working to build features you've asked for, and we're excited to share version 1.1. Here's the scoop:

- Birthdays and events: Never miss a chance to celebrate! Just tap the notifications globe and scroll down to see important dates ahead.

- Photo comments: When words aren't enough, now you can add photos to comments to show how you feel.

- Group updates: Don't miss posts from your favorite groups. Swipe down to open the Main Menu. Tap the More Options icon to the right of the Search box. When you see your groups, check the new unread counts to catch up on the posts you've missed.

- New story buttons: To keep up with the latest stories in a section in fullscreen view, or to catch the newest stories in the next section, tap the new story arrows when they appear.

- More article covers: 9 new article covers join our collection, making easier to spot your favorite sources on Paper. Keep an eye out for Fox News, Bloomberg News, Mashable, FT, kottke, Popular Science, The Hollywood Reporter, Vanity Fair and Hacker News.

- Basic accessibility: All of your sections now support basic accessibility features, and we're working to extend accessibility throughout the app.
In addition, Paper product manager Michael Reckhow*tells The Verge that despite Facebook's plans to strip Messenger out of its main Facebook app, the Paper product team does not have plans to remove messaging from its app, saying that the team wishes to keep the app independent from the goals and strategies of the main Facebook app.

Paper isn't the only app Facebook has been working on updates for, as the company yesterday announced a new feature called Nearby Friends for its main app. Similar to Apple's Find My Friends, the optional feature allows users to see if their friends are nearby so that they can meet up.

Paper*- stories from Facebook is available for free in the App Store. [Direct Link]

Facebook is available for free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook Updates 'Paper' App With Birthdays, Events, Photo Comments and More
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:17 PM   #2
djtech42
macrumors 65816

I guess they will eventually replace the current app with this one.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 08:27 PM   #3
JTeeth
macrumors newbie

Really annoyed that this is not available in Canada. I am absolutely ready to delete my Facebook app off my phone and replace it with something that actually looks like it has a design.
JTeeth is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:08 PM   #4
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

I don't particularly FB much anymore, but Paper is a wonderfully designed app. Kudos to its developers!
KylePowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:37 PM   #5
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a

Had to revert to the original Facebook app because Paper was missing these key features. Glad to be able to switch back again.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:59 PM   #6
jicon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeeth View Post
Really annoyed that this is not available in Canada. I am absolutely ready to delete my Facebook app off my phone and replace it with something that actually looks like it has a design.
Switch/sign to the US store (no credit card necessary), download for free, switch back to the CDN store.
jicon is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:59 PM   #7
l3it3r
macrumors member

Fox News?

Wow. Facebook really is a public company now, huh? To the highest bidder...
l3it3r is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:16 AM   #8
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

This was a necessary update. Before this I was using Facebook simultaneously with paper to do regular things. Groups, events and picture comments change the game.
jmh600cbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:24 PM   #9
haiggy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicon View Post
Switch/sign to the US store (no credit card necessary), download for free, switch back to the CDN store.
That doesn't work.
I switch stores and try to download and still says I can only make purchases/downloads in the Canadian store
Old Apr 19, 2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Antoni Nygaard
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiggy View Post
That doesn't work.
I switch stores and try to download and still says I can only make purchases/downloads in the Canadian store
You have to create a US account
Antoni Nygaard is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2014, 03:17 PM   #11
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

I still don't get every single update on my newsfeed on Paper that the regular Facebook app does get. I get most, but if I check my feed, some are missing. I also would like to sort by most recent.
ghostface147 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 05:52 AM   #12
pedromcm.pm
In Time-Out

I wish I could use this app on Android, on Europe. I just do not understand those restrictions.

It's Facebook, certainly there's not some iOS-only API that makes that app incompatible with other OSes?
pedromcm.pm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 01:11 PM   #13
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromcm.pm View Post
I wish I could use this app on Android, on Europe. I just do not understand those restrictions.

It's Facebook, certainly there's not some iOS-only API that makes that app incompatible with other OSes?
Actually there are some animation APIs that are iOS only. That's not to say the android doesn't have similar sets, but perhaps not as high quality.
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:28 PM   #14
marcelvelky
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to marcelvelky
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiggy View Post
That doesn't work.
it is working, i have done it for myself here in Slovakia. And of course, i have deleted the original FB app. Paper is much better though..
marcelvelky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:25 AM   #15
RabbitLuvr
macrumors regular

Now if I could get Paper to show my interest lists, I'd completely ditch the regular app.
RabbitLuvr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion