Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I recently bought a 13" MBPr, and I have attached it do a a Dell Monitor so I can use it as a desktop when I'm at home :D

I'm trying to attach my Western Digital 1 TB external drive to the USB port in the monitor itself but it does not show up on my MacBook.

Is the only way to plug it into my MBPr or am I missing something?

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this so sorry in advance if it is! :(

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I recently bought a 13" MBPr, and I have attached it do a a Dell Monitor so I can use it as a desktop when I'm at home :D

I'm trying to attach my Western Digital 1 TB external drive to the USB port in the monitor itself but it does not show up on my MacBook.

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this so sorry in advance if it is! :(

Your Dell has to be connected to BOTH the DisplayPort and a USB port on the rMBP. If you connect to DP only, you can't use the USB ports in the monitor.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

The DisplayPort doesn't carry any data across. You need to have the monitors USB cable connected to your MBP as it is essentially a USB hub.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
You'll most likely need a USB A to B cable. Check the manual to be sure.

Your monitor probably included the USB cable when you bought it, but if you don't have one, they are commonly available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.