Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GideonGideon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
Hi,
I own a macbook pro retina with Mavericks (10.9.2)
I recently (last 2 weeks more or less) started experiencing serious WIFI issues.
About every 5 minutes my MBP is unable to load pages for several minutes. When using chrome I see a "resolving host" message and when using Safari the MBP just doesnt load anything.
I know for sure its not a problem with the router since my friends use it without any problems and I have a linux and window computers that also have no problems using the WIFI.
I obviously googled the problem but I could not find anything that actually works
This is one of those problems you can't live with... it reached the point that I can't use the MBP anymore... this is really frustrating.
Is there anyway to solve this?
Thanks!
Gideon

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Possible a DNS server issue - there have been DNS issues around the internet for the last few weeks.

Try a different DNS server. It could be that your friends are not using the same server that you are, so they don't run into the problem.

GideonGideon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
I already tried changing DNS (I added the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 google's DNS servers)
But its still not working... :(

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Have you tried Wireless Diagnostics?

Access it by pressing the Option key while clicking on the WiFi symbol menu, it's at the bottom...

GideonGideon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
I've actually never used to Wireless Diagnostics.
I just ran it for several minutes and it created a report. However I'm not quite sure what to do with the created folder... Could you instruct me on how to proceed from here?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
It should have said whether or not the wifi connection was working as intended.

It is easy to miss - I've missed it myself when running it before.

GideonGideon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
I re-ran the diagnostics and I keep getting a "Dropped connection detected" (about every 2 minutes)
Anything I can do?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
If you have a cable or DSL modem, reset that too.

Does your web browser still say "resolving?" Again, that points to a DNS issue of some sort as the computer will use a DNS server to resolve the IP address of the website (http://www.macrumors.com -> 123.123.123.123).

pready

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2014
Try hard-coding your IP and DNS. I had a similar problem and this has solved it.

All my other devices work fine while my 10.9.2 MBP could not connect (although it could ping 4.2.2.2 just fine).

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Hi,
I own a macbook pro retina with Mavericks (10.9.2)
I recently (last 2 weeks more or less) started experiencing serious WIFI issues.
About every 5 minutes my MBP is unable to load pages for several minutes. When using chrome I see a "resolving host" message and when using Safari the MBP just doesnt load anything.
I know for sure its not a problem with the router since my friends use it without any problems and I have a linux and window computers that also have no problems using the WIFI.
I obviously googled the problem but I could not find anything that actually works
This is one of those problems you can't live with... it reached the point that I can't use the MBP anymore... this is really frustrating.
Is there anyway to solve this?
Thanks!
Gideon

Enter in a static IP for your MBP.
Then switch over to the DNS tab, enter the IP address of your router (ie 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)

On your router, use the following DNS servers
Google

OpenDNS

Or manually enter in your ISPs DNS servers, if known.

Then reboot your computer, and reboot the router. That should hopefully fix your issue.

gura

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2014
resolve wifi problems mavericks

Had similar problems
also resolving host issues that forced me to stop en start wifi all the time to solve the issue.

After consulting apple support, here is my tip:

- got to finder finder
- then:

/go/ macintosh HD/library/ SystemConfiguration

- Empty content of the SystemConfiguration folder
- Restart computer

This folder might contain wrong settings that cause the wifi communication with a router / modem to be unstable. After removing the files from the SystemConfiguration folder the OS will generate a new freshly "calibrated" version of wifi settings that might solve the issue

Hope this simple action helps.

Gur

mlim650

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Singapore
I don't see a directory /macintosh HD/library/SystemConfiguration. However there is a /Macintosh HD/System/Library/SystemConfiguration.

The files in this folder have .bundle file extensions.

Had similar problems
also resolving host issues that forced me to stop en start wifi all the time to solve the issue.

After consulting apple support, here is my tip:

- got to finder finder
- then:

/go/ macintosh HD/library/ SystemConfiguration

- Empty content of the SystemConfiguration folder
- Restart computer

This folder might contain wrong settings that cause the wifi communication with a router / modem to be unstable. After removing the files from the SystemConfiguration folder the OS will generate a new freshly "calibrated" version of wifi settings that might solve the issue

Hope this simple action helps.

Gur

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.