Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
Hi
I have a base 13'' mid 2012 mbp that I use as my main (and only) computer. Sometimes I feel it's getting slow and was thinking of changing my ram from 4gb to 8gb but by looking at activity monitor, the graph is all green that should indicate that ram is enough.
By looking at these stats, what is the reason it's slowing down?
Thanks

1zh305j.jpg

avlx1e.jpg

nc1rg1.jpg

k1wb3r.jpg

309lqp3.jpg

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi
I have a base 13'' mid 2012 mbp that I use as my main (and only) computer. Sometimes I feel it's getting slow and was thinking of changing my ram from 4gb to 8gb but by looking at activity monitor, the graph is all green that should indicate that ram is enough.
By looking at these stats, what is the reason it's slowing down?
Thanks

It could be hard drive related. What are you doing when you feel it is slow?

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
My main usage is for internet browsing (using chrome), I experience speed issues when I have lot's of chrome windows opened, for example switching from a tab to another, or switching to chrome-->itunes-->chrome, frequently it freezes the OS or the colored ball appears

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
My main usage is for internet browsing (using chrome), I experience speed issues when I have lot's of chrome windows opened, for example switching from a tab to another, or switching to chrome-->itunes-->chrome, frequently it freezes the OS or the colored ball appears

It's sounding even more like a hard drive issue.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Sounds more like a chrome issue to me. OP specifically mentioned that it occurs when there's a lot of tabs open in Chrome, and also when the OP switches between Chrome and iTunes. The fact that it happens independently of iTunes means it's not an issue there, and the fact that it happens only under certain conditions effectively rules out a HDD/SSD issue. If it was a HDD/SSD issue, then it would most likely be seen outside of Chrome. Chrome is notorious for being a memory hog, and there's a lot of posts on these forums about that.

Husky1992

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
rome
I was running 7-8 chrome tabs (and various other software in the background like itunes, firefox, vlc, preview, openoffice) when the OS slowed, I saw the cpu peak up to 10% system, 75%user and 15% idle
I think it's the cpu the problem...

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Your stats point to something you are running using lots of cpu, quite likely that is Chrome and your story supports this.

Try a different browser (I'd recommend Safari as Firefox is a resource hog in any case), and see if it still occurs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.