Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Please post apps that you find are very resource hungry and I'll add them to the main post.

These are fairly resource heavy, fine if you have plenty of ram but if your running 1gb or less - it may be worth keeping an eye on them..

1) Facebook - always fairly excessive whether cached or currently running. New version was using 148mb of my memory earlier, when you consider that is 20% of my entire usuage it is very excessive. Seriously I'm tempted to simply not use Facebook app on Android.

2) Instagram

3) yahoo weather + widget.

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Its generally around half that for me, and my phone has 3gb of ram, with my tablet having 2 so its not an issue for me at least.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-20-00-23-07.png
    Screenshot_2014-04-20-00-23-07.png
    290.6 KB · Views: 590

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Its generally around half that for me, and my phone has 3gb of ram, with my tablet having 2 so its not an issue for me at least.

It's likely because I enabled Facebook coverflow .... I have subsequently disabled it...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ thanks..

Another quite heavy on ram for older phones is the Yahoo Weather app & widget.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Facebook app is the one app vs Apple where I agree it's a pos vs it's counterpart, no clue why all these years they still can't make an app that works or is as polished as the Apple version. I don't even know why people use it, when I've tried it I've used BBS/Gsam to lock down FB running doing whatever in the background even with settings turned off and not just running a bit here and there, but sitting there eating at battery life etc.

App sucks anyway, the workaround, bookmark the mobile site, then put the shortcut on your screen and give it an FB icon. Bam, mobile site works far better, no running the background, no glitches, uploads photos etc, and the news feed works vs the app version where many times the feed is a garbled mess of new and old stuff. There are some slim versions that devs on XDA have made for FB, but I still like the mobile site best.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The amazon App Store annoys me. It loves to do stuff in the background and loves to restart after being greenified. Greenify seems to hibernate that app more than anything else for me. Granted I don't have Facebook installed.

Seems like you need both greenify and app ops to control Facebook app, but like you guys say it's not worth it

Last edited:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
The amazon App Store annoys me. It loves to do stuff in the background and loves to restart after being greenified. Greenify seems to hibernate that app more than anything else for me. Granted I don't have Facebook installed.

Seems like you need both greenify and app ops to control Facebook app
Or just not use the FB app at all, bookmark mobile site, make short cut, add the FB icon. App is useless.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The Facebook app is garbage on all platforms. For me though it actually performs the best on Android. I don't really worry about my RAM usage as I have plenty of it and nothing seems to really hinder performance.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hmm, Facebook isnt a big hog for me at all but im not on it a lot during the day.

My screen takes up most of my battery...and an app i was using called Walklogger to show how much i was walking on a job that i just left.

I also recently just started playing a Family Guy game and that is a bit of a hog running in the background.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
If you disable flicker photos in the yahoo weather app it reduces its memory. But then you lose nice backgrounds, so I generally keep mine on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.