Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I never hear mine outside of playing Call of Duty. I'm switching from a PC so I'm use to the fan being on constantly.

I take it this is normal? For general use the fan does never ever comes on?

Thanks

Last edited:

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I only have one app, MeteoEarth, that always switches my fan on. at least I think so...it's the only app where I can hear the fan. Not sure if it ever runs inaudibly.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
The fans actually run constantly, you just can't hear them because a) the asymmetrical design of the blades spread out the sound across multiple frequencies, and b) it's running at relatively low RPMs in most cases. Right now, my fans are running at 2151 rpm (left) and 1995 (right) while reading these forums, and I cannot hear them at all.

samanthas

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2005
Portland, OR
^Yup Mine goes between 1288-1310 surfing/listening to iTunes, etc. I switched the fan from default to high via istat menu and dang it gets loud. I never used an app to control the fan like that before and it surprised me a little. haha. Obviously I don't do intensive stuff.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
The fans actually run constantly, you just can't hear them because a) the asymmetrical design of the blades spread out the sound across multiple frequencies, and b) it's running at relatively low RPMs in most cases. Right now, my fans are running at 2151 rpm (left) and 1995 (right) while reading these forums, and I cannot hear them at all.

How do you know how many rpms it's running? Mine doesnt say under acitivity monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.