Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Im currently living in Australia. I have a Canadian 3DS. Im looking to sell my 3DS in Australian. What I want to do is check to see if I can play my Canadian games via friend codes with another Australian 3DS. Just so I can honestly tell people when I'm selling it if it works or not.

I know I can still play online as Ive done that a number of times. I just want to specifically know if I can play online with an Australian opponent.

The online games i have are Mario kart 7 New super mario bros. 2 and luigi's Mansion 2.

So If an Australian 3DS owner could respond that would be great! Thanks!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I have a NOA system (USA) and a Japan 3DS - I can tell you for certain that online multiplayer does work with any region - I have played Mario Kart 7 with my Australian buddy as well.

What doesn't work is Download Play (Local Multiplayer) - that is region locked for whatever reason.

The games themselves are also region locked to either EU, NOA or JPN - Australia falls under EU and Canada falls under NOA.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.