Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XClemX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Updated my MBP 15" from 10.6 to 10.9.2 and ever since I get crashes, some 4 to 5 a day. Mostly from wake up but sometimes out of the blue.

panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffffff7f9f1b6fb0): "GPU Panic: [<None>] 3 3 7f 0 0 0 0 3 : NVRM[0/1:0:0]: Read Error 0x00000100: CFG 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff, BAR0 0xd2000000 0xffffff8131130000 0x0a5480a2, D0, P2/4\n"@/SourceCache/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.4.35/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:127

Thats the log.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? This has been going on for 2 months and I have googled crases and the sorts but nothing comes up.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Updated my MBP 15" from 10.6 to 10.9.2 and ever since I get crashes, some 4 to 5 a day. Mostly from wake up but sometimes out of the blue.

panic(cpu 3 caller 0xffffff7f9f1b6fb0): "GPU Panic: [<None>] 3 3 7f 0 0 0 0 3 : NVRM[0/1:0:0]: Read Error 0x00000100: CFG 0xffffffff 0xffffffff 0xffffffff, BAR0 0xd2000000 0xffffff8131130000 0x0a5480a2, D0, P2/4\n"@/SourceCache/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.4.35/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:127

Thats the log.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? This has been going on for 2 months and I have googled crases and the sorts but nothing comes up.

Is it a 2011 MacBook Pro with Radeon? If it is, Radeongate has hit your Mac.

XClemX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Thats cool with all your GATES, but whats the key to solve this problem?

XClemX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Even if you go back to 10.6 it'll still happen. It's just a coincidence that your GPU failed the same time you installed mavericks.

So it's off to the apple store I go then or can i get this fixed some other way.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Oh Oh.. I have wanted to 'think other', but __

Is it a 2011 MacBook Pro with Radeon? If it is, Radeongate has hit your Mac.

I do have a mid-2011 MBP w/ the AMD Radeon HD 6750M (1024 MB) Video card, and it also has just recently (and more often past few days) seemed to have the 'crash after awaking from sleep' issue.. Often, but not always. preceded by the Cursor disappearing as well, it seems..

All that being said, I have been backing up religiously for years, and now I am just about to remove the SSD and RAM and put the Original Parts back in, just in case it goes FAR away for a long time.. I have 3-4 months of AppleCare left and this WOULD be the 2nd Logic Board, as it had a RAM Slot Failure in the first year also.. Oh well, better now than in 6 months, I suppose!! :( :apple: :(

0n1cOn3

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2014

It sounds like a faulty, old driver from 10.6 where not supportet on 10.9. If your have already a Backup, make a clean install & check the sleep mode again

XClemX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
It sounds like a faulty, old driver from 10.6 where not supportet on 10.9. If your have already a Backup, make a clean install & check the sleep mode again

I don't have a back up, but my thoughts are dodgy driver. Coincidence on this issue raisning it's head and me updating to Maverick are too much. As in, first reboot into the new OS, it starts.

Shame this is not a matter of just updating drivers like winblows would allow you too!

I will speak to an Apple store tomorrow about it and see what I get.
I will back up again and look to re install in the next few days.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I don't have a back up, but my thoughts are dodgy driver. Coincidence on this issue raisning it's head and me updating to Maverick are too much. As in, first reboot into the new OS, it starts.

Shame this is not a matter of just updating drivers like winblows would allow you too!

It's possible Mavericks made the issue more prominent (most likely by running your dGPU more), but your error is what you get when you have a dying GPU, 99% chance you need a new logic board sadly.

XClemX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
It's possible Mavericks made the issue more prominent (most likely by running your dGPU more), but your error is what you get when you have a dying GPU, 99% chance you need a new logic board sadly.

Ahh OK.

Cheers. Didn't get there today but will make the effort this week.
Looks like I might have to find someone to replace the logic board!

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Even if you go back to 10.6 it'll still happen. It's just a coincidence that your GPU failed the same time you installed mavericks.

hey,

i have the same problem as OP and the same MBP, except mine has 512mb of VRAM. i was running 10.9.2 when i noticed the KP's a few weeks ago. I then rolled back to mountain lion (10.8.5?) and still had KP's. same experience. so, today, in the morning, i rolled way way back to snow leopard and no KP's so far. i even installed final cut express and edited a video and exported it and no problem. i also installed COD: Modern Warfare and played a few rounds of games without the KP. the fans were kicking in and the the MBP chugged along fine. i also tried garageband '11 to make a little project and exported the song without a hitch. so far so good. also, no random KP's browsing the web or just letting the computer sit there for a while and then when i click on the screen, the computer would KP.

of course, i can't test FCP X or Motion 5 where i could trigger the KP in mountain lion and mavericks without fail since these apps aren't compatible with snow leopard.

so, so far, snow leopard is stable. but, even if it is stable, most of my apps aren't compatible with it. lol.

i'm scrtaching my head. i even made a thread about owners of this MBP who's had their logic boards replaced and asked if it has been fixed.

the thread is something like "did logic board replacement work for your mid-2010 MBP?"

anyway, that's my experience with this and rolling back to snow leopard.

----------

i ran COD: Modern Warfare with this MBP in snow leopard and no GPU related crashes. doesn't this game run the dGPU to its limit?

also, i have no weird glitches or artifacts on the screen with either mavericks or mountain lion where i was having the KP, which would be more obvious and clear evidence of a dying dGPU, right?

it's just kernel panicking.

but, man, snow leopard is not doing the panic thing. i really don't know.

----------

i did this already with similar MBP. they ran a video systems test and my MBP failed. there was a big, bold "FAILED" word in red splashed on the screen. they will tell you that the logic board needs to be replaced.

been posting like mad about this to ask around if anyone has any idea about exactly what the problem is. i am guessing Open GL or Open CL. but it's a wild guess. the KP crashes does occur in mountain lion and mavericks. haven't tried lion since i think it will be the same. but, i am now on snow leopard and no crashes yet.

ps--also, i am asking around because i am wary of logic board replacement with new logic board that has the same exact hardware as the older one. maybe it'd be easier if i can keep the original logic board, too but i know that they will keep it. i just feel like, having the older one as a backup in case the new one gets worst or has similar issue down the road that i have the original logic board that seems to run fine on snow leopard.....

Last edited:

XClemX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
Yeah my thoughts are like yours. It's a driver or something issue.
I'm talking the very first boot into Mavericks and I get the reboot issue, and has never stopped.

I didn't have it at all prior and this machine runs smooth as silk prior.

Too coincidental for my liking to be a logic board problem.

I just need to get SL and a HDD to back everything up and then I will go back. If it fails after that, I will look to get the logic board replaced.
But if thats going to cost $500-$600 I might as well get a new laptop!

hey,

i have the same problem as OP and the same MBP, except mine has 512mb of VRAM. i was running 10.9.2 when i noticed the KP's a few weeks ago. I then rolled back to mountain lion (10.8.5?) and still had KP's. same experience. so, today, in the morning, i rolled way way back to snow leopard and no KP's so far. i even installed final cut express and edited a video and exported it and no problem. i also installed COD: Modern Warfare and played a few rounds of games without the KP. the fans were kicking in and the the MBP chugged along fine. i also tried garageband '11 to make a little project and exported the song without a hitch. so far so good. also, no random KP's browsing the web or just letting the computer sit there for a while and then when i click on the screen, the computer would KP.

of course, i can't test FCP X or Motion 5 where i could trigger the KP in mountain lion and mavericks without fail since these apps aren't compatible with snow leopard.

so, so far, snow leopard is stable. but, even if it is stable, most of my apps aren't compatible with it. lol.

i'm scrtaching my head. i even made a thread about owners of this MBP who's had their logic boards replaced and asked if it has been fixed.

the thread is something like "did logic board replacement work for your mid-2010 MBP?"

anyway, that's my experience with this and rolling back to snow leopard.

----------

i ran COD: Modern Warfare with this MBP in snow leopard and no GPU related crashes. doesn't this game run the dGPU to its limit?

also, i have no weird glitches or artifacts on the screen with either mavericks or mountain lion where i was having the KP, which would be more obvious and clear evidence of a dying dGPU, right?

it's just kernel panicking.

but, man, snow leopard is not doing the panic thing. i really don't know.

----------

i did this already with similar MBP. they ran a video systems test and my MBP failed. there was a big, bold "FAILED" word in red splashed on the screen. they will tell you that the logic board needs to be replaced.

been posting like mad about this to ask around if anyone has any idea about exactly what the problem is. i am guessing Open GL or Open CL. but it's a wild guess. the KP crashes does occur in mountain lion and mavericks. haven't tried lion since i think it will be the same. but, i am now on snow leopard and no crashes yet.

ps--also, i am asking around because i am wary of logic board replacement with new logic board that has the same exact hardware as the older one. maybe it'd be easier if i can keep the original logic board, too but i know that they will keep it. i just feel like, having the older one as a backup in case the new one gets worst or has similar issue down the road that i have the original logic board that seems to run fine on snow leopard.....

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah my thoughts are like yours. It's a driver or something issue.
I'm talking the very first boot into Mavericks and I get the reboot issue, and has never stopped.

I didn't have it at all prior and this machine runs smooth as silk prior.

Too coincidental for my liking to be a logic board problem.

I just need to get SL and a HDD to back everything up and then I will go back. If it fails after that, I will look to get the logic board replaced.
But if thats going to cost $500-$600 I might as well get a new laptop!

holy crap. you're giving me hope that i don't need to replace my logic board. maybe it's just a driver thing.

but, then again, apple's official response about this is to send it to apple store in which case they will run that video systems test where they will then tell you to replace the logic board b/c the computer will inevitably fail the test.

so, what apple is saying, if i am correct, is that the logic board needs to be replaced with another logic board that is the same as the old one but the experience will be magically different.

maybe apple is working on a new slogan.

"act different"

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Thats the log.

1. Turn off MBP

2. hold down option key

3. keep holding down option key while pressing on button

4. choose disk bootup

5. Reinstall Mavericks

Make sure to save any imp. data

XClemX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
1. Turn off MBP

2. hold down option key

3. keep holding down option key while pressing on button

4. choose disk bootup

5. Reinstall Mavericks

Make sure to save any imp. data

So you are saying re installing Mavericks will solve my problems?

I have to say, I did only install once, never went with another instal.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Hmmmm.. Not so sure, but __ ..

Hmmmm.. Well, I cannot say that it may NOT help you, but it surely did nothing for me, as I did do that 2-3 weeks ago just to find out..

Apple and I have a 'phone/online meeting' on Thursday (no Apple store within 6 hours of me) and I am hopeful for some Resolution.. :apple:

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008

This was my first step. I did a clean install of mavericks and the same thing. Kernel panic central.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.