Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
Questions about shutting down or just letting it sleep.

Brand new 15" rMBP, love it.

My work takes me out of town for 2 weeks, followed by 1 week at home. I leave the laptop at home, my job is in the oil fields, not really conducive to taking a $2500 computer.

Last time I left home, I just left the puter sleeping. I got home 2 weeks later and opened her up and she woke up and powered on just like it was only a couple hours.

My question, is it okay to leave the puter sleeping for 2 weeks at a time, or should I shut her down?

Thanks
Michael

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
It's totally fine. If it's a bit slow when you get back, just give it a restart and you'll be good to go.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

My work takes me out of town for 2 weeks, followed by 1 week at home. I leave the laptop at home, my job is in the oil fields, not really conducive to taking a $2500 computer.

Last time I left home, I just left the puter sleeping. I got home 2 weeks later and opened her up and she woke up and powered on just like it was only a couple hours.

My question, is it okay to leave the puter sleeping for 2 weeks at a time, or should I shut her down?

Thanks
Michael

Sleep is perfectly fine. Just give it a minute to fully resume if it was in deep sleep.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Its actually good you put it to sleep.

Make sure AppNap is on and running. That way all the updates are always installed and you don't have to waste time installing them when you get back :p

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

Thanks
Michael

Do you work on the Slope by chance?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Its actually good you put it to sleep.

Make sure AppNap is on and running. That way all the updates are always installed and you don't have to waste time installing them when you get back :p

You mean Power Nap. Personally, if I were away from the computer for a couple weeks at a time, I'd shut it down and disconnect it from power, in case there's a lightning strike or power surge and also to not be paying that (tiny) amount of electrical demand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.