Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bladex1200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
California, USA
After many faithful years in service to me, my iPod Touch 4g mysteriously died on Saturday (probably because I hadn't charged it for quite a while). I attempted to charge it for many hours but, alas, it would not start up, so I resorted to attempting to restore it.

Of course, being that I had jailbroken it (Green Poison 5.1.1), I was at a loss at how to restore it back to its factory settings. I put it in recovery mode, but that didn't work, so then I tried DFU mode (I know it's DFU because the screen was black).

Either way, when I attempted to restore it on iTunes (fresh install, deleted the gs.apple.com from the host file), the restoration proceeded normally up until it said "Waiting for iPod". At that point, which I am still at right now, my iPod apparently freezes as it sits with a loading bar that is not filling up.

I am perplexed as to why this is happening. I thought DFU mode was supposed to restore any iPod (whether jailbroken or not) to its factory settings. Can anyone please help me out with this?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
After many faithful years in service to me, my iPod Touch 4g mysteriously died on Saturday (probably because I hadn't charged it for quite a while). I attempted to charge it for many hours but, alas, it would not start up, so I resorted to attempting to restore it.

Of course, being that I had jailbroken it (Green Poison 5.1.1), I was at a loss at how to restore it back to its factory settings. I put it in recovery mode, but that didn't work, so then I tried DFU mode (I know it's DFU because the screen was black).

Either way, when I attempted to restore it on iTunes (fresh install, deleted the gs.apple.com from the host file), the restoration proceeded normally up until it said "Waiting for iPod". At that point, which I am still at right now, my iPod apparently freezes as it sits with a loading bar that is not filling up.

I am perplexed as to why this is happening. I thought DFU mode was supposed to restore any iPod (whether jailbroken or not) to its factory settings. Can anyone please help me out with this?

Does iTunes detect your iPod touch? Is the usb cable you're using damaged? (You said it wasn't charging before so it might be a hardware issue either with the cable or charging port)

bladex1200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
California, USA
Does iTunes detect your iPod touch? Is the usb cable you're using damaged? (You said it wasn't charging before so it might be a hardware issue either with the cable or charging port)

I've used two different USB cables and neither has worked so far for the restore. Might be that both of them are damaged, I'm not sure, but they physically look fine and the iPod seems to be charging now (it turns on and remains on when plugged in, although in either DFU or recovery mode).

iTunes does indeed detect my iPod Touch. It detects it both in recovery and DFU mode, it just can't complete the recovery (hangs on the "Waiting for iPod" portion).

bladex1200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
California, USA
Just a small update. I swapped out for a 4th cable and attempted a DFU forced restore. I have the same problem yet again - everything goes smoothly up until the iPod actually attempts to update. At this point, iTunes says "Waiting for iPod" and my iPod displays a load bar with an Apple logo on it. The load bar has not filled at all for nearly 2 hours now.

Help would be much appreciated. :D

bladex1200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
California, USA
Damn, you're not supposed to spay anything liquid down there.
You're supposed to clean it dry, hope you didn't short anything down there while trying to clean it.

I meant I sprayed it with compressed air, sorry. I don't use liquid sprays on any exposed connectors or anything, just compressed air followed by a wipe-down.

Tmlfan3

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
So, spraying the charging portal with Windex, followed by a good dousing of WD40 is no good?

WD40 should only be used if your cables aren't fitting in cuz it's too tight. It'll give the lubrication required so you don't damage the connector

bladex1200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
California, USA
The report button over to the left is his to buy that, right?

EDIT: OP, why are you trying to restore? Since its charging, it works now, right?

Well the first 3 adaptors for some reason (probably the wiring) caused it to die after an hour or two when I had it plugged into the PC for restoring. The fourth one I'm using right now is reliable enough to let it stay on when plugged into the PC or wall outlet, but I still need to restore it because it won't boot into anything except recovery or DFU mode.

Speaking of which, recovery mode gives me an error (probably because I'm trying to restore a jail broken iPod) but DFU mode simply hangs on the "waiting for iPod" part. That's what I'm having trouble with right now.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Well the first 3 adaptors for some reason (probably the wiring) caused it to die after an hour or two when I had it plugged into the PC for restoring. The fourth one I'm using right now is reliable enough to let it stay on when plugged into the PC or wall outlet, but I still need to restore it because it won't boot into anything except recovery or DFU mode.

Speaking of which, recovery mode gives me an error (probably because I'm trying to restore a jail broken iPod) but DFU mode simply hangs on the "waiting for iPod" part. That's what I'm having trouble with right now.

Well can you use Tiny Umbrella link to kick it out of recovery? I would think that would work.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
It sounds like it has some type of hardware issue.
Any jb device would restore by now either it regular or dfu mode.
You're sure you didn't get it wet before? Sounds like the device has damage.

bladex1200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
California, USA
It sounds like it has some type of hardware issue.
Any jb device would restore by now either it regular or dfu mode.
You're sure you didn't get it wet before? Sounds like the device has damage.

It hasn't taken any water damage at all. It died after spending a day in my pocket while I was doing some volunteer work, and it was a hot and dry day so I'm pretty sure it didn't get wet.

Also, I tried kicking it out of recovery with Tiny Umbrella. Sadly, did not work.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes,but you shouldn't need any JB tools to just restore it.
Try using another computer just in case but if it doesn't restore again then its a hardware issue. I'd bring it to Apple or any iphone/ipod touch repair place to take a look at it.

bladex1200

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
California, USA
Try using another computer just in case but if it doesn't restore again then its a hardware issue. I'd bring it to Apple or any iphone/ipod touch repair place to take a look at it.

Alright. Thanks for the help - to everyone on the thread (except the fake links guy :p). Much appreciated.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012

Alright. Thanks for the help - to everyone on the thread (except the fake links guy :p). Much appreciated.

I agree its a hardware problem, but if he was able to kick it out of recovery, there's not reason not to, and save money if it's working.

One last thing, plug it in the wall and do a hard reset (using power and home buttons) it's the only way we could wake my moms phone up out of DFU.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I agree its a hardware problem, but if he was able to kick it out of recovery, there's not reason not to, and save money if it's working.

One last thing, plug it in the wall and do a hard reset (using power and home buttons) it's the only way we could wake my moms phone up out of DFU.

Yes, but I think the issue not as simple as to just kick it out out of recovery and its done.
It wont restore with itunes either through regular or dfu restore mode so that tells us that there might be other issues that won't allow the device to restore and function properly.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Yes, but I think the issue not as simple as to just kick it out out of recovery and its done.
It wont restore with itunes either through regular or dfu restore mode so that tells us that there might be other issues that won't allow the device to restore and function properly.

It depends what the problem is. My mom's 5s had similar problems, it would fail to restore or update 95% of the time, but once I got it updated, it worked 95% of the way. Occasional resprings, sure, but not bad. Hers was swapped under warranty, but seeing as his device is several years old, I wouldn't be looking to spend more money on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.