Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agaskew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Hi all, I have a 2012 rMBP (2.7/16gb/768gb model) that gets used a lot at home. On the desk it runs in clamshell mode, connected using Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter to one 23" 1080p monitor.
I'd like to add a 2nd monitor, probably another 1080p one as they are relatively cheap. I think there are a few ways to do this but can't get a handle on the best way:

Can I hook up a 2nd monitor via the 2nd unused Thunderbolt port using another mini display port to DVI adapter? This would be my first choice if it works, so I can also get a book arc stand or similar.
Or would it be better to use the HDMI port? This is on the other side of the laptop which makes cable management a bit of a pain.
Or get a USB to DVI adapter? This would tie up a USB port so the monitor would need a USB hub.

Thanks for any ideas. ( I tried Apple tech support via a chat session but they were surprisingly useless!)

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Use either the Thunderbolt or the HDMI port, whatever is convenient/cost-effective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.