Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Hi,

Idk if I'm just paranoid or whatever but I received an email today with the following body:

Sender: melinda@apple.com

Subject: Hello from Apple

Hello,

I’m Melinda from Developer Relations at Apple. I’d like to speak to you about our upcoming Worldwide Developers Conference.

Could you let me know when is the best time to contact you today or early tomorrow?

Thank you.

Does this look like a legit email from apple? I haven't received anything like this before so i don't know what to expect. I thought maybe when apples developer site was hacked several months ago they got my email and are now contacting me.

Do you guys think this is legit? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Since when does anyone at Apple have an email address that's only their first name?

Ryan Burgess

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Have you inspected the email headers?

I have only enough to see that is says it's from melinda@apple.com

I replied to the email saying "Sure call me anytime" to which the response was, "at what number?"

I thought this was fishy since apple should already have my number so I said "The cell in my account is fine." Never got a response, so I'm sure this was a scam.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Maybe it was Melinda Gates, but she didn't want to use her last name so that you'd know she jumped ship. :)

Seriously, sounds suspicious to me.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can provide some temp type of number like Google Voice and see.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I'm one of those who regards any unsolicited, unannounced or unexpected email, or, for that matter any private email where the exchange has not been initiated by me, as 'suspicious'.

Likewise, any email where the tone is familiar, and breezy, but your own name is not used (those dreadful generic ones which commence with the word 'hello'), also rings an alarm bell with me.

And, above all, emails with a dodgy return email address: seriously, when does a company, a well known company, just use a first name in an email address?

In my case, I have had a number of work email addresses, from universities where I worked, or international organisations for whom I also worked, and, whenever my name formed part of my email address, it was either my full name, or my first initial and my surname combined. I have never had a professional email address where my first name was used, solely.

Anyway, any such email is deleted and are never, ever replied to.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So did you recently sign up for anything or contact Apple in some way?

What did the email headers reveal?

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Most definitely a scam. Someone wanting to have a conversation with you could easily steal your car, for example. It is obvious that since she asked you your credit card number, something is quite wrong. Be careful, and call the cops before it's too late!
:rolleyes:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
OP, what do you do that could have prompted Apple's interest? Try responding directly to melinda@apple.com rather than to the original email. It's doubtful a legitimate apple email address could have a scammer on the other end. I wouldn't miss out on a potential opportunity.

----------

The amount of skepticism is unjustified. You can contact apple to find out if Melinda is a legitimate employee...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.