Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin has revealed more information about his script for the Steve Jobs movie while speaking at the Tribeca Film Festival on Monday night to Mashable, telling the site his movie isn't a traditional biopic or the story of Steve Jobs.
"It's not a biopic; it's not the story of Steve Jobs -- it's something much different than that," Sorkin said. "He's a fascinating guy -- part hero, part antihero."
aaronsorkin.png
Sorkin declined to comment on today's report from The Hollywood Reporter saying that Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle was in talks to direct the Steve Jobs movie with Leonardo DiCaprio potentially starring as the Apple co-founder. Instead, he said that he wanted the movie to speak for itself and that Jobs was a "fascinating guy" surrounded by "fascinating people" and had "very interesting relationships in his life".

Additionally, Sorkin revealed that the film, which he referred to as Steve Jobs, was one of the few times in his career he set out to write what he wanted to write and that it was an "incredibly satisfying" feeling.

The script, which Sorkin completed in January, uses material from Walter Isaacson's Steve Jobs biography and will focus on three 30-minute scenes ahead of three product launches. No potential release date has been announced.

Article Link: Aaron Sorkin on Steve Jobs Movie Portrayal: He's 'Part Hero, Part Anti-Hero'

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Pretty excited for this. Leo is my favorite actor, so to see his as Jobs would be awesome.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
With this many movies about Steve, when will we see an adaptation of a masculine Joan of Arc (Steve of Arc?) storyline movie?

tascon

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Can't wait to see the movie...

... I am very excited about this motion picture. The expectations may be too high, though, which can result in dissapointment.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
A couple of strange comments in the article - the Steve Jobs movie isn't the story of Steve Jobs? And he's setting out to write what he wants to write? I'd have thought if it's a true story, there's less freedom for a screenwriter.

It sounds a bit like this will be a very fictionalised version, "inspired by the life of Jobs".

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
I think Leonardo DiCaprio is a good actor, but it's hard for me to buy any role he's in. He's too well known to not see him as a famous & well known celebrity actor obviously playing a role.

The Basketball Diaries and Gilbert Grape were easy to digest & get lost in the story because he was relatively unknown when they were released. Everything after Titanic, he just became too recognizable for his public persona. This is one of the main reasons why I couldn't take Ashton Kutcher's portrayal seriously either.

He's also too Anglo looking to play Jobs IMO. Not even some contacts and hair dye are going to make him look half Syrian. I wasn't a fan of the Kutcher film, but he's a much better I choice in terms of looking like Jobs.

I'm still hoping they can work out a deal with David Fincher to direct and Christian Bale to play Jobs.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
dicaprio portraying jobs, wow that's a tough sell.

In my experience the number one factor people use when judging documentaries is: How much does the guy look like the real guy.

Sad, but true. And the more famous the subject, the worse it gets. (Nobody cared when DiCaprio didn't look like Jordan Belfort or Howard Hughes.)

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I am trying to understand this 3 30 minute scenes around product launches storyline. It could be interesting but I would like to see the movie start with him in 1997 till 2011 timeline.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
In my experience the number one factor people use when judging documentaries is: How much does the guy look like the real guy.

Sad, but true. And the more famous the subject, the worse it gets. (Nobody cared when DiCaprio didn't look like Jordan Belfort or Howard Hughes.)

..or Frank Abagnale

MacTouch786

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
A couple of strange comments in the article - the Steve Jobs movie isn't the story of Steve Jobs? And he's setting out to write what he wants to write? I'd have thought if it's a true story, there's less freedom for a screenwriter.

It sounds a bit like this will be a very fictionalised version, "inspired by the life of Jobs".

What Sorkin likely means is that, unlike other biopics, the movie won't be about the life of Jobs. For instance, the Ashton Kutcher movie was more about Jobs' life, this won't be. And that the underlying themes or message won't be about Jobs either, but about something different. He'll be using those three 30-minute scenes, based off of the stuff in Isaacson's book, to illustrate that.

When he says he wrote what he wants to wrote, he's probably referring to two things: the movie he wanted to write when he started the script is what he ended up with. Usually when writing a movie, screenwriters change things dramatically when they realize what they wanted doesn't work so well. It could be that Sorkin's ideas worked for him all the way through his writing process. It could also mean that he had very little studio interference and that Sony is giving him free reign to do what he thinks is best.

- Husain

agffth

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
Jordan Belfort, Howard Hughes

..or Frank Abagnale

I didn't know what any of these guys looked like until the movie. Most people know what Steve Jobs looks like.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Yet again

EPIC miscasting, just to try and grab Hollywood boxoffice.

Did it ever occur to anyone involved EVERYONE knows what Steve Jobs looks like?

:apple:

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
....it's not the story of Steve Jobs -- it's something much different than that, Sorkin said. "He's a fascinating guy -- part hero, part antihero."

I like the sound of this.

I agree, Job's life story has now been told many times in films and documentaries, and it's time to focus on the larger issues his life so richly illustrates.

What makes Jobs so interesting, imho, is the larger than life "part hero, part antihero" holistic qualities of his character.

In any story, if the lead character is all good or all bad, it quickly becomes boring. It's the conflicts between good and bad within any human being that makes us fascinating, and creates the necessary story arc.

What makes Jobs interesting is that he was a BIG person, containing both genius and less flattering qualities in more than ample measure. This is rich material for examining the human condition in a compelling manner.

What would you sacrifice for power and fame, to be creative on a large scale, to change the world, to get really rich? What price would you pay to get everything you want? These are questions of Shakespearean scale that reflect upon the human condition at large, and help us examine the world that Jobs has created.

These are large questions that go far beyond Jobs the person, because thanks in part to Jobs, all of us are entering a brave new digital world where it will be increasingly possible to get anything we want.

The future that Jobs helped create is not going to be only the wonderful ice cream and cookies that Apple marketing might suggest. It will also be, just as Job's himself learned, full of prices to pay.

Would you give up your first born child to reach your dreams? You won't really know the answer to that question until the Mac experience one day can deliver that which you most deeply want.

Most of us don't even know what we most deeply want, because the limitations of the real world usually make the question irrelevant. The digital world that Jobs helped create is going to change that.

Jobs was sort of the Jesus of our time, setting loose historic forces of good and evil that none of us can yet fully imagine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.