Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Finally, after 4 years, Apple is listening. It took that long until they woke up and start offering 1080p screen (iPhone 6 5.5 inch in December 2014 I think) so you can view movies and TV content without losing native video pixels. It also took that long until they started offering bigger sized screens (who the hell wants to stare at a tiny screen?). I remember the animosity people had on this forum about "not being able to reach the corners". That is no longer the issue right? How the hell does the iPad Mini survive then if it is an issue?

Because Apple works in slow spurts, I think I'll add more "features that are needed" to include on a wishlist and wait another 4 years until they wake up again.

1) It needs to be waterproof. People now regularly use their mobile devices in water environment (bathtub, beach, shower, pool, raining, etc). Sometimes you just want to be able to go out in the rain without worrying about leaving the iPhone behind.

2) It needs to support Peripheral Sense Modules. What is this made up term? Basically, it means the iPhone needs to adapt to the different senses eventually by making modules that can interact directly with your senses. Google Glass and Oculus Rift (and Sony's VR competitor) adapt to the eyes mainly. 3D sound earplugs/headphones for full 3D environmental sounds needs to be supported in audio chips on the iPhone. Later, other sensory (heartbeat, temperature, wetness of air/perspiration, taste, smell, etc) modules needs to be added to support the light/dark, magnetization of poles, rotation, etc features already there. In other words, instead of only everything on a monolithic device, make modules to enhance experience.

3) Low power communication by utilizing proximity to other devices for transmission/reception. Do not rely on the archaic satellite or cell towers that use too much power and too dangerous radiation. Even pass signals between other mobile devices and use low power/short distance algorithms for traversing between nodes.

4) Perpetual power. Solar panels can power a calculator under regular light. When attached to a battery, solar panels can be used to power non-essential stuff on the iPhone without draining regular battery. Motion can be used to power stuff too (look at Seiko Kinetic). Eventually, you may be able to use some services using power gotten from the environment without a wire (like those remote charging stuff). Attaching a module on a shoe or arm or hat (bla bla bla) that converts kinetic energy or sunlight into a power supply for your phone is not too far off in the future.

5) Assuming the iPhone cannot be attached to some part of your body without being carried, then the screen can go 4K, and eventually the dots so tiny, you can produce 3D effects without glasses by basically manipulating wavelength of light using tiny particles on the screen to produce effects (like those 3D stickers). If Apple can't move that fast (most likely), you can use sensors to detect distance of your eyes (and direction of pupil) to the screen and angle to adaptively produce 3D images.

6) Wearable. Expanding on number 5... Why can't the iPhone be something you wear? People wear clothes, shirt, overcoat, pants, shoes, socks regularly. Why not replace one of those parts with an iPhone version? Or have that item natively support carrying an iPhone. Imagine an overcoat (fashion) that holds enough THIN power cells inside the fabric that you can use an iPhone for a month without charging. Once this is done, you can support feature 2) above full throttle. You can also do feature 4) of solar charging in overcoat more easily (or kinetic energy from shoes).

7) Increased senses support. Our eyes can only see 3 wavelengths (red green and blue). It would be nice to be able to tune the camera to different wave frequencies to represent red green blue on the screen. That way, you can see infrared, ultraviolet, microwave, or any frequency inbetween by mapping them to the red green and blue pixels. It would allow you to see in the dark. It would allow you to see solar flares, what animals see, location of sun under clouds, irradiated urine territory of animals, etc. Even ear modules so you can hear what dogs hear (high pitch) or lower pitches (earthquake detection), bla bla bla.

8) Lastly, why does the iPhone limit radio support? FM, AM, TV, etc. You can't listen to over the air free stuff. Why only support mobile cell communication? Why not be able to transmit TV, FM, AM also? That way you can broadcast audio/video locally instead of only broadcasting voice to cell towers. Even some phones already support broadcasting infrared to control TV, air conditioners, car doors, garage doors, etc.

I think this is enough for the next 4 years. Lets see how far Apple gets before being dragged into it (like the 1080p and large screen size).

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Wauw...

1) It needs to be waterproof.
Granted, that would be nice.

2) It needs to support Peripheral Sense Modules.
It is called Bluetooth and already available.

3) Low power communication by utilizing proximity to other devices for transmission/reception.
Also called Bluetooth.

4) Perpetual power. Solar panels can power a calculator under regular light.
Your battery will love lying in the sun. You know, the sun you have inside your office.

5) Assuming the iPhone cannot be attached to some part of your body without being carried, then the screen can go 4K, and eventually the dots so tiny, you can produce 3D effects without glasses by basically manipulating wavelength of light using tiny particles on the screen to produce effects (like those 3D stickers).
Wut? I think you need to watch less scifi shows.

6) Wearable. Expanding on number 5... Why can't the iPhone be something you wear?
Already available

7) Increased senses support. Our eyes can only see 3 wavelengths (red green and blue). It would be nice to be able to tune the camera to different wave frequencies to represent red green blue on the screen.
Uhm... I think you need to read up on Electromagnetic radiation...

And your camera already sees more wavelengths than our eyes - I use mine to check if my remotes are working, as they translate the infrared signal to red on the screen. But I don't think you know how expensive it is to detect wavelengths outside of the visible spectrum anyway. And what would you use it for? You won't gain Predator vision anyway.

8) Lastly, why does the iPhone limit radio support?
Internet access is so cheap so this is pointless.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I'd like to see a disposable camera, swallow it, and look at my internal organs via my iPhone and record it.

Yes. Capsule endoscopy should be free, or just the cost of a miniature webcam plus bluetooth transmitter (less than 50 bucks) then upload to youtube and ask quora doctor experts to examine it for you for free.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
next iPhone

Forget it guys. Apple won't be releasing a much larger screen phone until next year or next millennium. They haven't figured out how to do it. I propose they contract with Samsung and HTC to produce the next iPhone. Those companies are light years ahead of Apple.:cool:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
"Who the hell wants to hold a big screen?"

A lot of people do. Hell, it's even possible for Apple to increase the screen size without dramatically increasing the actual phone size. For example, check out the Moto X.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A lot of people do. Hell, it's even possible for Apple to increase the screen size without dramatically increasing the actual phone size. For example, check out the Moto X.

I don't really want a bigger screen. More memory, better battery, more features. The phone is at it's limits where I can operate it with one hand holding on in the subway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.