Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Now Accepting All Products for Recycling at Retail Stores




Apple will now begin accepting old products for recycling at all of its retail stores worldwide, reports The Associated Press. While the company has had a recycling program for quite some time, the terms for trading in a product would vary by device category.

For instance, those looking to trade in a Mac or iPad for recycling were limited to filling out an online form and shipping it with a prepaid label, while those looking to drop off an iPhone or iPod could bring it into an Apple Retail Store or ship it to a recycling center.

Now, customers are welcome to bring in all products to any of its retail locations, where the company will recycle them for free. While all devices will be accepted for recycling at no charge, those who bring in products that are in fair condition will also receive a store gift card.

Apple made changes to its recycling program in 2011, expanding the program to include more devices and older computers. Last year, Apple also introduced an iPhone trade-in program that allowed customers to trade in a device for a gift card that could be used toward the purchase of a new iPhone, which has since expanded to multiple countries.

The move comes as Apple launched its "Better" environmental campaign yesterday ahead of Earth Day, which included a video detailing the environmental efforts of its Apple Campus 2 project. Apple will celebrate Earth Day at its retail locations around the world by giving its logos green leaves and having its employees wear special green shirts. The company will also reportedly hold an event at its main campus in Cupertino, California.


Article Link: Apple Now Accepting All Products for Recycling at Retail Stores
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 02:59 AM   #2
minhvn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
... or you can just sell it on eBay or Craigslist.
minhvn is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:04 AM   #3
Mac Fly (film)
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ireland
I'm a MacRumors forum member so I'm gonna find a reason to complain about this.
__________________
Yes, I'm getting one.
Mac Fly (film) is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:10 AM   #4
ahbiteme
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I think it's brilliant from an environmental perspective that they're doing this. But I imagine you'd only take them in for this if there was something wrong with them, they were no longer covered under warranty and no one wants to buy it for parts.

I would love to see the numbers for how many items the average store sees per day and, of those, how many are just busted iPods.
ahbiteme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:15 AM   #5
vmachiel
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Fly (film) View Post
I'm a MacRumors forum member so I'm gonna find a reason to complain about this.
So true, I'm glad you said it.

On topic: this is great. So many old iPods are now broken and just stuck in a drawer somewhere.
__________________
2010 MBP, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD; 32GB Silver iPhone 5S; 32 GB Wifi iPad (3rd gen)
vmachiel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:16 AM   #6
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a
 
flottenheimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up north
Glad to hear that this is a global initiative.
Now, all we need is an Apple Store in Denmark.
__________________
A computer is like a bicycle for the mind.
— Steve Jobs
flottenheimer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:26 AM   #7
Exponent
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Silicon Valley
From an unrepentant conservative… GREAT!

I'm someone who thinks that (detailed content self-censored that basically says I think Tim Cook, and massively board-member Al Gore, are wrong on the environmental front).

However, I have to say I'm fully behind this move, as it shows that the company at least takes responsibility for the equipment they put out into the world. Maybe not all equipment needs this policy, but consumer electronics are difficult for the unequipped to dispose of properly and even attempt to recycle.

Now, I hope Apple tries to recycle and dispose of the equipment in the country where it is used, so that we don't pass off to the poor and/or corrupt countries the burden of putting up with consumer waste of others, IF that waste is NOT able to economically be turned into something useful.

(And I'll finish by pushing for inexpensive energy, because it helps so much in making true recycling much more economically possible. Energy is a beautiful thing!)
Exponent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:30 AM   #8
till213
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Just to put this "great innovation" in context: in Switzerland every electronics store is obliged to take back any electronics devices - TVs, computers, microwaves, radios, ... - for recycling! No matter whether the device was actually bought in that store!

That service is already paid for when you buy the device - any electric or electronic device.

Want a reference? Here: http://www.erecycling.ch/faq-e-recycling#t25n115

Off course it is in german, but the first FAQ answer sais it all: "Überall dort wo diese Elektro- und Elektronikgeräte verkauft werden, können Sie diese auch zurückbringen." -> "You can return your devices at every store which sells electric and electronic devices".
till213 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:38 AM   #9
Jayse
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhvn View Post
... or you can just sell it on eBay or Craigslist.
That is if you have the time, effort or inclination to do so within your already busy life...
__________________
2012 13" Retina MacBook Pro 2.5GHz + iPhone 5 64GB
Jayse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:44 AM   #10
havit
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: GuangZhou,GuangDongProvince in China
 
I am glad to hear that .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Image


Apple will now begin accepting old products for recycling at all of its retail stores worldwide, reports The Associated Press. While the company has had a recycling program for quite some time, the terms for trading in a product would vary by device category.

For instance, those looking to trade in a Mac or iPad for recycling were limited to filling out an online form and shipping it with a prepaid label, while those looking to drop off an iPhone or iPod could bring it into an Apple Retail Store or ship it to a recycling center.

Now, customers are welcome to bring in all products to any of its retail locations, where the company will recycle them for free. While all devices will be accepted for recycling at no charge, those who bring in products that are in fair condition will also receive a store gift card.

Apple made changes to its recycling program in 2011, expanding the program to include more devices and older computers. Last year, Apple also introduced an iPhone trade-in program that allowed customers to trade in a device for a gift card that could be used toward the purchase of a new iPhone, which has since expanded to multiple countries.

The move comes as Apple launched its "Better" environmental campaign yesterday ahead of Earth Day, which included a video detailing the environmental efforts of its Apple Campus 2 project. Apple will celebrate Earth Day at its retail locations around the world by giving its logos green leaves and having its employees wear special green shirts. The company will also reportedly hold an event at its main campus in Cupertino, California.


Article Link: Apple Now Accepting All Products for Recycling at Retail Stores
havit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 03:50 AM   #11
fun173
macrumors Demi-God
 
fun173's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Just remember folks! If you want to recycle an old TAM then PM fun173 and it will go to a good home!
fun173 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:02 AM   #12
sir1963nz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flottenheimer View Post
Glad to hear that this is a global initiative.
Now, all we need is an Apple Store in Denmark.
And in New Zealand.
They do have a recycling centre.... in Hong Kong, which does NOT accept old MacBook batteries, the whole computer yes, the battery NO.
sir1963nz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:13 AM   #13
BvizioN
macrumors 68000
 
BvizioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Manchester, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Fly (film) View Post
I'm a MacRumors forum member so I'm gonna find a reason to complain about this.
Best comment of this month
__________________
Born Albanian.
BvizioN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:28 AM   #14
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000
 
LostSoul80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
A $20 gift card for a computer that can be sold at over 20 times more? Call me in!!!
__________________
Automatic Fans: UltraFan
LostSoul80 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:36 AM   #15
hleewell
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I am excited with this program. Apple is gonna put every competition to shame.
__________________
MacBook (Alum 2008)
Mac Mini (2010) - RIP
iPhone 5
iPad Air
hleewell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:39 AM   #16
wschutz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmachiel View Post
So true, I'm glad you said it.

On topic: this is great. So many old iPods are now broken and just stuck in a drawer somewhere.
Does not your local municipality/county/whatever have a recycling program?
Here in Europe, and particularly in Spain and Sweden (speaking about both the countries I have lived and currently live) there are such services to recycle everything: electronics, used oil, appliances, furniture,... (besides the usual paper, glass and plastic) even debris from construction...

This is great idea from Apple (and of course marketized to sell more...) but I'd rather give business to a local/national company than to Apple itself for a small discount at best.

And it is funny how Apple actually uses the local services in Spain and Sweden: http://www.apple.com/recycling/natio...es/europe.html
wschutz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 04:49 AM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603
 
ArtOfWarfare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I for one applaud Apple's Gooder campaign.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:02 AM   #18
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayse View Post
That is if you have the time, effort or inclination to do so within your already busy life...
I imagine for some people a anything under fifty dollars may not be worth the time. Even less so if it involves setting up a sale etc... or people with money that don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul80 View Post
A $20 gift card for a computer that can be sold at over 20 times more? Call me in!!!
This is where you hope anyone with common sense would avoid. Now that broken device or something that's hardly worth a few dollars, sure.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:10 AM   #19
chimpboy74
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
In Europe does this not fall under WEEE?

"The directive imposes the responsibility for the disposal of waste electrical and electronic equipment on the manufacturers or distributors of such equipment"

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/waste/weee/pdf/final_rep_okopol.pdf
chimpboy74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 05:26 AM   #20
LeBart
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Fly (film) View Post
I'm a MacRumors forum member so I'm gonna find a reason to complain about this.
Ok, here we go. :-) The environment would be already a little bit better if they didn't have to produce all these t-shirts just for one day use.
LeBart is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:09 AM   #21
JosephAW
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
I'll have to stop by to get my gift cards for my G5 tower, iMac bondi 333, Mac 8500, Mac II ci, Mac 128, all which are in good working condition.
BTW do they take Image & Laser Writer printers too?
JosephAW is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:20 AM   #22
vault
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by till213 View Post
Just to put this "great innovation" in context: in Switzerland every electronics store is obliged to take back any electronics devices - TVs, computers, microwaves, radios, ... - for recycling! No matter whether the device was actually bought in that store!

That service is already paid for when you buy the device - any electric or electronic device.

Want a reference? Here: http://www.erecycling.ch/faq-e-recycling#t25n115

Off course it is in german, but the first FAQ answer sais it all: "Überall dort wo diese Elektro- und Elektronikgeräte verkauft werden, können Sie diese auch zurückbringen." -> "You can return your devices at every store which sells electric and electronic devices".
I'd rather "recycle" on my own than have recycling tax included in the price of every electronic prodyct I buy.
vault is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 06:34 AM   #23
bommai
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melbourne, FL
Do other stores do this such as best buy? I have a local best buy but apple store is 65 miles away. I have an old iMac G3 to recycle. It is dying.
bommai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:06 AM   #24
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
This isn't actually to bad..

I always use Gazella, (or here in Australia, BoomerangBuyBack) to sell my gadgets, and comparing the differences... Its about the same for Apple Recycling.

I've never used it, but i may try it one day..
__________________
13" MBPR, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV, iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD
"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:20 AM   #25
mangonights
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Cool beans.
mangonights is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Retail Stores Post $4.5 Billion in Revenue in Q4 2013, 30 New Stores Coming in Fiscal 2014 MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 10 Oct 30, 2013 03:23 PM
List of Apple Stores Accepting iPad 3 Returns Medic311 iPad 27 Nov 2, 2012 05:12 PM
When will Apple retail stores have new Macs? jmthigpen Buying Tips and Advice 7 Jun 21, 2012 02:10 PM
Apple Retail Stores Meeting? Bradllez MacBook Pro 5 Jun 17, 2012 05:31 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC