Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to Taiwan's Industrial and Commercial Times [Google Translate, via G for Games] Apple's larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 has been delayed and will launch in 2015. The report notes that the company is struggling with finding a sufficient battery that measures 2 mm or less to fit in the device's "very thin" profile.

iphone6.jpg
Renderings of iPhone 6 (4.7'') and iPhone 6 (5.7'') based on leaked schematics
The report also notes that Apple suppliers are referring to the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 as the "iPhone Air", which has not been finalized as an official name for the device. If the claims are true, however, an iPhone Air would join Apple's MacBook Air and recently released iPad Air in carrying a similar name and delivering a product with a slim chassis.

Past reports have indicated that Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will launch first this fall, and have shared similar details about the 5.5-inch version being delayed due to production issues. A report from Reuters last month noted that Apple was having issues with in-cell production technology in the 5.5-inch version's display, with Japan Display, LG Display, and Sharp set to produce screens for the device.

In addition to a larger screen and thinner design, Apple's next-generation iPhone is expected to include a new A8 processor, Touch ID fingerprint sensor, and an upgraded camera featuring optical image stabilization. Apple is also said to be negotiating with carriers to increase the price of the iPhone 6 by $100.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Delaying Launch of 5.5-Inch 'iPhone Air' Due to Battery Issues

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This is actually bad news that it may be released in 2015 but for me, it doesn't matter as I'll be getting the 4.7-inch model.

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Then simply use a bigger battery, the iPhone 5S is already thin enough.

^^^^. Stop making the darned phones so thin and beef up the battery life. An iPhone that you could use moderately for 2-3 days with having to use a charging case would be amazing.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
^^^^. Stop making the darned phones so thin and beef up the battery life. An iPhone that you could use moderately for 2-3 days with having to use a charging case would be amazing.

and you seriously find that to be more beneficial than a few mm thinner and more importantly sexier device?

jeez:rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So Apple designed a phone w/o considering the reality of battery technology? This story doesn't seem credible.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
"But Apple, you phones is taller and wider than other 4.7" phones on the market, and even some 5" phones"
Apple: Yes, but look how thin! *Cut a tomato after sawing on a brick with it* Still sharp!"

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hopefully this turns out to be a red herring. I was looking froward to comparing this with my Nokia Lumia Icon (929).

Oshawapilot

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
Courtice Ontario Canada

THIS! ^^^

I don't care how thin it is. Honestly, it makes it awkward to hold when it's too thin. Make it the thickness of the current 4/5 series for all I care, just put a huge honkin battery in it that will actually last an entire day (or gasp, maybe 2!) please!

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Then simply use a bigger battery, the iPhone 5S is already thin enough.
Quite. The depth of a mobile phone is dictated by the dimensions of a battery that's sufficient to power that phone for an acceptable length of time. Unless Apple have uncovered some magic battery technology that enables them to shave several millimetres off its depth, the iPhone is going to remain as 'fat' as ever.

If super-skinny batteries are feasible at a realistic price then I'm sure there are people who would be willing to pay a $100+ premium for a skinnier phone. What absolutely no-one will want is a skinny phone that's only been made possible by halving the battery life.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Yep, hopefully inaccurate, because I 'd like to be able to compare a 4.7" and a 5.5" iPhone to my current iPhone 5. While I like the 5, a bigger screen is appealing.

And thinner for the sake of it is NOT appealing.

Last edited:

yannxou

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Barcelona
Right now I'd prefer a thicker iPhone with better battery.

Soon iPhones will be so thin that you won't be able to grab them from a table unless you place them in ultra thick plastic covers. Hey, but it'll be ultra thin inside!

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
OR it didn't exist and the original guy who said they were making a 5.5 inch phone is too big of a ***** to admit he was wrong?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
A product that hasn't been announced nor has it had a release date announced has been delayed? Interesting...

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
For all those people who say the phone is already thin enough: pick up an iPod Touch and tell me you don't think the 5/5S felt like a brick afterwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.