Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Hey guys,
Just bought a new house recently and we are all moved in. Now the theatre room, which is upstairs, houses my Mac Pro and also the cable modem. I've been using a Apple time capsule(purchased 6 months ago) for a little while. It worked great in our other home but it wasn't near as big. All the connecting devices are downstairs besides the gaming systems and one Apple TV upstairs in the theatre room. Actually, the only connecting devices downstairs are two laptops, and two more Apple TV's(living room and master bedroom). Now, I'm running Charter communications 30 meg internet which has worked out pretty well. I'm wondering if switching to a better router would yield greater range and overall performance? I just purchased a Linksys WRT1900AC (read story) below and it hasn't gone well. So I guess my end question is can you really beat the Apple time capsule or should I look at other brands? Only reason I'm asking is because the Apple TV's down stairs take a little while to stream and it seems like this is something I can fix. Thanks for any advice and sorry for rambling!

Well I bought that new Linksys 4 antenna router yesterday. Supposedly a "boss". Switching to that from my AirPort Extreme. Well got it up and running last night, network named and password protected. Speed tested and everything was solid(router is upstairs in the back of the man cave and I tested downstairs). Woke up this morning and Debi's laptop wouldn't connect to it and neither would my phone. Network name appeared but not password protected and neither device would connect. Restarted router and it appeared to be fixed. Initial speedtest was okay and every one after that was garbage. Both devices connected but were finicky. If it matters I told the router to name both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks the same. Essentially one network allowing the device to connect to the band it wanted.

mailbuoy

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2014
Davidsonville, MD
Time Machine

Chad - How have things worked out over the last 5 days? Did you attempt to run Time Machine backups to a drive connected to this router?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.