Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maigado

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I just let Mavericks 10.9.2 install a security update on my current model rMBP. I have the HD partitioned so that there's a small EX-FAT drive that has some work on it that I share with a Parallels Windows VM. It's worked fine for the couple months I've had it this way.

Until now...

After installing this security update this morning, the drive is no longer mountable by OS X. Disk Utility sees it, but says it's formatted as MS-DOS (FAT), which it's not, or at least wasn't. I can't access the partition. AND IT HAS A LOT OF MY WORK ON IT!!!

Most of that, probably all of it that matters, is backed up, but still. My whole setup depends on this working and it's going to take awhile to get this right on my larger Mac partition.

Any ideas as to what happened and why and, more importantly, what, if anything, I can do to restore what I had?

Argh.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I just let Mavericks 10.9.2 install a security update on my current model rMBP. I have the HD partitioned so that there's a small EX-FAT drive that has some work on it that I share with a Parallels Windows VM. It's worked fine for the couple months I've had it this way.

Until now...

After installing this security update this morning, the drive is no longer mountable by OS X. Disk Utility sees it, but says it's formatted as MS-DOS (FAT), which it's not, or at least wasn't. I can't access the partition. AND IT HAS A LOT OF MY WORK ON IT!!!

Most of that, probably all of it that matters, is backed up, but still. My whole setup depends on this working and it's going to take awhile to get this right on my larger Mac partition.

Any ideas as to what happened and why and, more importantly, what, if anything, I can do to restore what I had?

Argh.

I installed it and allowed it to restart my machine. After that, Safari would stop scrolling and responding after about 5 minutes of use. I shutdown my MBA, waited a couple of minutes, and restarted. All is well...

Have you tried that? Something was messed up with the reboot that it did somehow...?

maigado

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I've rebooted twice, plus I've shut down the machine and restarted. Same situation.

----------

Trying to verify the disk, then repair it, Disk Utility says:

Verifying volume “disk0s4”Checking file system** /dev/disk0s4
Invalid sector size: 0
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Verify and Repair volume “disk0s4”Checking file system** /dev/disk0s4
Invalid sector size: 0
Volume repair complete.Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Incredible. "It just works." Right.

At least I had most of the data backed up and probably everything I really needed, which is already restored.

Is there some way to access the file system so that I can at least get everything off of that partition?

maigado

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I made a dmg of the EX-FAT drive, but I can't mount it.

If anyone sees this and knows of some way I might be able to rescue all of my data, please let me know. :)

maigado

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I hadn't done that, but I did a minute ago and IT WORKED!!!!!!

It told me that it had fixed the partition, but I still couldn't mount it as a drive. So I rebooted and there it was!!!

SlCKB0Y, I'm very grateful. It would have taken me a long time to track that down, if I'd have ever figured it out at all. This is a major help for me.

Thanks, so much, again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.