Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
How do I sync my iCloud and gmail calendars to show up under calendar in Outlook?

My understanding is that I have to add the accounts under the iCal app and then enable sync services. What if the iCal app isn't being used on my computer? I want to use Outlook as is without having to go through iCal. Any advice? Thx.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
You have heard correctly...at least that's the only way I know it can be done.

Outlook is designed for an Exchange account. If you get a hosted Exchange account you can use Outlook the way it's supposed to be used.

My advice is: don't use Outlook if you're on a Mac and have Google and iCloud calendars.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA

Outlook is designed for an Exchange account. If you get a hosted Exchange account you can use Outlook the way it's supposed to be used.

My advice is: don't use Outlook if you're on a Mac and have Google and iCloud calendars.

Thanks for the response. I have about 9 email accounts, 2 of which are exchange. I used to use Mail until Mavericks but the syncing with my exchange accounts is absolutely horrible now. Outlook does its job well but I hate having to go through another link like iCal. I could go back to AirMail but they don't sync well with apps like Preview who support the "Send with Mail" command.

mjt57

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
South Eastern Australia
I'm currently using Thunderbird and the calendar add-ons to sync cals with Google Calendar.

As I can't get Outlook on the Mac to do this, I guess that my only other option is a hosted exchange.

Can someone recommend a cheap hosted exchange service for home users?

The aim is to sync cals on the Mac Mini, Macbook Air, iPhone and iPad. Currently it's all done through GCal, but I would prefer to use Outlook if at all possible.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
One uses office 365 enterprise so I assume it utilizes the latest version. I am not sure of the other but def. at least 2007.

I have an Office 365 account and haven't had any trouble at all with syncing the Mac apps (Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Notes, Reminders) in Mavericks. What symptoms/trouble are you seeing?

I'm currently using Thunderbird and the calendar add-ons to sync cals with Google Calendar.

As I can't get Outlook on the Mac to do this, I guess that my only other option is a hosted exchange.

Can someone recommend a cheap hosted exchange service for home users?

The aim is to sync cals on the Mac Mini, Macbook Air, iPhone and iPad. Currently it's all done through GCal, but I would prefer to use Outlook if at all possible.

The cheapest I know of is Office 365 at $4/month per user. If you want to pick and choose what version of Exchange and/or want support that you can actually speak to then something like Sherweb (more expensive) might be your choice.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Sync Basics

CalDAV & CardDAV are protocols used by*Apple, Google, Yahoo and others to sync contacts and calendars. Neither Entourage 2008 nor Outlook 2011 support CalDAV or CardDAV.

Turning on Sync Services in Outlook Preferences will not sync your data to the Apple applications in Mavericks.

Apple removed sync in Mavericks with iTunes.

• You can no longer sync with an iPhone or iPad via iTunes. You can only sync with an iPhone or iPad via a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google.
  • You can no longer sync local calendars with OS X Calendar (formerly iCal). You can, however, continue to sync calendars hosted on a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google with Apple's Calendar.
  • You can no longer sync with any third-party apps running on your Mac that use Sync Services, like Entourage or Outlook.

Until Microsoft adds CalDAV and CardDAV support to Outlook, there is no way to sync other than get an Exchange account. It's $4/month Exchange Online.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/e...ge-online-email-for-business-FX103739072.aspx

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Sync Basics

CalDAV & CardDAV are protocols used by*Apple, Google, Yahoo and others to sync contacts and calendars. Neither Entourage 2008 nor Outlook 2011 support CalDAV or CardDAV.

Turning on Sync Services in Outlook Preferences will not sync your data to the Apple applications in Mavericks.

Apple removed sync in Mavericks with iTunes.

• You can no longer sync with an iPhone or iPad via iTunes. You can only sync with an iPhone or iPad via a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google.
  • You can no longer sync local calendars with OS X Calendar (formerly iCal). You can, however, continue to sync calendars hosted on a cloud-based service like iCloud or Google with Apple's Calendar.
  • You can no longer sync with any third-party apps running on your Mac that use Sync Services, like Entourage or Outlook.

Until Microsoft adds CalDAV and CardDAV support to Outlook, there is no way to sync other than get an Exchange account. It's $4/month Exchange Online.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/e...ge-online-email-for-business-FX103739072.aspx

Very helpful. Thanks. I guess I will use Calendars and Contacts (built-in ones) for their respective purposes and use Outlook for mail. It just works better for me and I really like the layout and features more than Mail. Oh well.

Anyway to make Calendars the default calendar app, contacts the default calendar app, and Outlook the default mail app? The option in Outlook makes Outlook default for all 3 things.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

I gave up on it a while back...it was losing mail, crashing and constantly being a pain....I transits ironed to Thunderbird, created local folders for storage, added the calendar plug in and have never gone back to either Outlook or Mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.