Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
I went to settings and check software updates and it said "checking for updates" and said 7.1.1 is available but it didn't give me automatic notification and no red badge either. I'm afraid if it won't appear anymore since I checked it manually by going to settings-general-check for software updates. What should I do?
It won't notify me for this update anymore if I just checked it manually even though I didn't hit downloaded and install button yet?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I went to settings and check software updates and it said "checking for updates" and said 7.1.1 is available but it didn't give me automatic notification and no red badge either. I'm afraid if it won't appear anymore since I checked it manually by going to settings-general-check for software updates. What should I do?
It won't notify me for this update anymore if I just checked it manually even though I didn't hit downloaded and install button yet?

Dude, relax. We told you in your other thread this is normal. The update badge NEVER appears right away. It always takes several days. The update was just released today.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

please never get an android lol

Dan50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
The reason why I'm just worried because I accidentally hit erase all contents and settings when the Red Badge was showing up and didn't update it before accidentally doing that. I updated it manually after deleting all contents and settings unfortunately in that previous version update. Also red badge got erased on settings default apple app after doing that. Are u sure this won't affect red badge showing or giving me automatic notifications about new software is available? I want it to appear without having to check manually. I'm still waiting for it to appear. Also just worried because it showed up on my friend's phone.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well, if you didn't download/install, then leave it like that for a few days, and you'll get the badge at some point reminding you to do it.

Or go ahead and just install it and that's it. The next time there's an update, and if you don't know about it and don't check for it yourself, after a few days you'll get a notification.

Most of us here never get a badge as we find out about the updates pretty quickly and go to check for and install them right away.

Dan50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
Ok and yes I read the previous thread but was kind of confused. I will wait few days or just do it manually But How come red badge got deleted after I hit "delete all contents and settings"? That's what I'm confused about.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Ok and yes I read the previous thread but was kind of confused. I will wait few days or just do it manually But How come red badge got deleted after I hit "delete all contents and settings"? That's what I'm confused about.
Because it reset everything including any notifications you have gotten up to that point.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
How come red badge got deleted after I hit "delete all contents and settings"?

When you hit "delete all content and settings," it did just that. The notification status and downloaded(but not installed) update are included in that content and settings that were deleted.

The notification badge will show up within a few days of the next iOS update as long as you don't manually check first.

Dan50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
When you hit "delete all content and settings," it did just that. The notification status and downloaded(but not installed) update are included in that content and settings that were deleted.

The notification badge will show up within a few days of the next iOS update as long as you don't manually check first.
I checked iOS software update manually first this time so I just installed it manually and just finished downloading and installing new software now. After I hit delete all contents & settings few weeks ago, it erased all my apps too which is the reason why I did that process. So I can start from the scratch. Yes, hopefully I will get the red badge to appear next time and next time I shouldn't check it manually then.

Last edited:

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Give it a few weeks. On 7.1 my friends asked me 3 weeks later "did you update" and I said that came out 3 weeks ago and he said he had just got the message the night before. I'm still wondering how he didn't pay enough attention at lunch to not hear me scream at every one to update. Guess I'll just need to be louder tomorrow at lunch so I know every one updates right away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.