Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has debuted a new TV ad alongside Marvel's Agents of SHIELD tonight on ABC called "Powerful". The ad, which was first spotted by 9to5Mac, showcases iPhone 5s owners using the device to enhance their lives in multiple ways.

With "Gigantic" by the Pixies [iTunes] playing in the background, the app has users using the iPhone 5s to check their health, check for directions, create short monster movies, record videos, create art installations and more, including a band preparing to play a song. The ad ends with the tagline "You're more powerful than you think".

Apple has not aired an iPhone 5s ad since the seasonal holiday ad "Misunderstood", which has since been removed from its YouTube channel. In the meantime, Apple has instead focusing its advertising efforts on the iPad's "Your Verse" ad campaign.

Update 8:31 PM: A previous version of this article incorrectly referred to the ad as "Gigantic". It has been corrected to its proper name, "Powerful". Apple's official YouTube video for the ad has also been swapped in.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New 'Powerful' TV Ad Focusing on iPhone 5s [Updated]

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
LOL. The notification poped up on my computer...

"Apple Debuts New 'Gigantic' TV..."

And I was like... wuhhh?!

Not quite what I was expecting. ^_^

Still nifty.

surfingarbo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
My push notification got me excited at the line: "Apple Debuts New 'Gigantic' TV".

Then I read the second half of the sentance...

TogetherinParis

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
I wrote "Your Verse" speech for Suicide Prevention not to sell iPads

Apple uses the speech I wrote for the Dead Poets Society project, which I was told was an amateur stage play, to sell their iPads. I wrote the speech, which starts with "huddle up!" and ends with "What will your verse be?". I've never been compensated. Apple is receiving stolen iProperty. Congratulations.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't love this ad or the Your Verse iPad ad. Doesn't focus on normal people using iPhones...mostly videographers and musicians which are a tiny segment of their userbase. The ad also does little to highlight the design and build quality of the phone which aside from the HTC One is still worlds better than anything Samsung has put out ever (the band-aid/golf ball back S5 is an abomination).

I miss Apple's ad mojo circa 2006-2009. The Get a Mac campaign and the original MacBook Air ads were awesome. Seems like they have all been down hill since the Mac Genius fiasco.

Edit: The MacBook Pro with Retina display commercials were solid.

Last edited:

tolkientosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2011
Canada
I like how they included the athlete monitoring his heart rate. Definitely a nock against the Galaxy S5 and it's subpar (~50% fail) heart rate monitor.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I don't love this ad or the Your Verse iPad ad. Doesn't focus on normal people using iPhones...mostly videographers and musicians which are a tiny segment of their userbase. The ad also does little to highlight the design and build quality of the phone which aside from the HTC One is still worlds better than anything Samsung has put out ever (the band-aid/golf ball back S5 is an abomination).

I miss Apple's ad mojo circa 2006-2009. The Get a Mac campaign and the original MacBook Air ads were awesome. Seems like they have all been down hill since the Mac Genius fiasco.

True but they make their money off people who want to be like artist and designers.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
This advertisement fails to evoke any emotion. Honestly I've seen great iPhone advertisements in the past but this isn't one.

drnasrad

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2014
Yes this is a Pixies song, but this is not the Pixies version. That's also not the Pixies setting up to perform. Good song choice though...

IPPlanMan

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2009
Sprint?

Sprint got the mention at the end...

Interesting. Hopefully the network continues to improve. LTE still hasn't officially launched in DC...

coleblk

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2013
I really liked the ad. First off the song is one of my favorites and really shows off how simple it is for everyone to make use of all of the built in features that make the 5s so great. Apple is great at presenting high tech in a way that is easy to use for anyone.

ratigator

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Michigan, USA

I see your point, but maybe they're thinking people already know about the design and build quality. Showing how you can use the device for cool stuff (whether you actually will or not) is a pretty good way to advertise, in my opinion. Plus the Pixies song was a pretty darn nice touch. :D

aukermania

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Love love love

I was confused the first time I saw it but I couldn't stop pressing repeat after the second watch. Brilliant. Fun. Creative... Apple.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
And my ears are bleeding. That might be the world's worst song. I've screamed better than that as a 5 year old.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
What's the app that the guy working out is using? Where he puts his finger over the flash?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.