Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2014
My iPhone5s slipped out of my pocket at the airport on my way back home. I tracked it to the gate at which I was waiting....I'm thinking either someone found it and turned it in to the gate agent or someone found it under the seat when I sounded the alert. Either way, someone turned it off.
Here's my dilemma: do I erase it and buy a new phone thinking no one will bother to turn it on and reach me? What do they do with them anyway? Do I take no risks with my personal data (even tho it's locked)?
Or do I wait a few days and see if they actually assign people to resolve these things. I know it was my fault for leaving it there, but someone had to have turned it off...it had a full charge. All they need to do is turn it on, get the phone number and call me. Has anyone had any luck at all with this kind of thing?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
You probably shouldn't have told it to beep since it would do you absolutely no good since you were no where around. Anyway i guess call the airport and ask. Even tell them what happened and the general location where find my iphone was telling you where it was and the time and maybe they can pull it up on their cameras and see if someone was stealing it. I believe find my iPhone also has an option where it will notify you when it is turned on.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I really doubt airport security will ever bother looking at their cameras to locate a lost cellphone.
Reality is unless someone turns it in or decides to answer it when you call then its gone for good.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
My iPhone5s slipped out of my pocket at the airport on my way back home. I tracked it to the gate at which I was waiting....I'm thinking either someone found it and turned it in to the gate agent or someone found it under the seat when I sounded the alert. Either way, someone turned it off.
Here's my dilemma: do I erase it and buy a new phone thinking no one will bother to turn it on and reach me? What do they do with them anyway? Do I take no risks with my personal data (even tho it's locked)?
Or do I wait a few days and see if they actually assign people to resolve these things. I know it was my fault for leaving it there, but someone had to have turned it off...it had a full charge. All they need to do is turn it on, get the phone number and call me. Has anyone had any luck at all with this kind of thing?

By chance did your phone have a green and black case? Someone found an iPhone in McCarran International Airport (Las Vegas) today.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Even you're asking to erase it you mean with find my iphone right? If it's off will it get the signal to erase the next time it connects to the network?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.