Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have an unlocked Verizon 4S and a 3rd Generation iPad Verizon version.

Ideally I would love to have data service throughout my entire trip, but not required. I figured i'd ask this wonderful community here, at the very least in preparing myself so as to not hear ridiculous offers where I may not know i'm being ripped off. :p

Of course, no contracts of any sort; just SIM up and have data.

I'd also imagine I may need either 3 separate SIM cards, one for each country… or 2 if a single SIM can be used for both Rome & Paris.

I haven't a clue and figured it was worth a shot asking. Any help is appreciated. My iOS devices are ready to come with me on the trip and I don't wanna miss a FaceTime call or Google Maps, etc. Calls abroad aren't the most important, data is where it's at for me, :cool:, baby.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
Hey,

Concerning the first case, you can consider an international sim solution such as this. You can search using your favorite search engine for international sim to compare prices.
If you choose the seperate sim per country solution, I can't advice you about Paris or Rome. In Egypt there are 3 carriers afaik. Vodafone, Mobinil and Etisalat. Each one of them has a store in airport. Their respective prepaid websites are:
Vodafone, Mobinil, Etisalat. Note that Etisalat has a special package catered to visitors as you. Others may have too, but couldn't find it when doing a quick search. In case you don't know the Egyptian currency is the Egyptian Pound (EGP) which has 100 piastres.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hey,

Concerning the first case, you can consider an international sim solution such as this. You can search using your favorite search engine for international sim to compare prices.
If you choose the seperate sim per country solution, I can't advice you about Paris or Rome. In Egypt there are 3 carriers afaik. Vodafone, Mobinil and Etisalat. Each one of them has a store in airport. Their respective prepaid websites are:
Vodafone, Mobinil, Etisalat. Note that Etisalat has a special package catered to visitors as you. Others may have too, but couldn't find it when doing a quick search. In case you don't know the Egyptian currency is the Egyptian Pound (EGP) which has 100 piastres.

I really appreciate the links, thank you.

As for the international SIM cards; these are for calls & data right?

Am I correct in guessing that an iPhone will only accept SIM cards with talk minutes, text and data.. as opposed to an iPad that can take a SIM card with only data associated to said card?

Though I really only need the data itself. Nevertheless I'm totally willing to also get an appropriate SIM for my iPhone that gives me data alongside any small amount of minutes/sms. Ideally, I'd like a couple of GB's on the SIM to feel secure knowing I'm not gonna run out of data at a crucial point during my trip.

Hell i'd even be willing to buy a couple of SIMs if it secures me a good amount of GB's and I don't have to return to the cell phone shop during my stay.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
I really appreciate the links, thank you.

As for the international SIM cards; these are for calls & data right?
Yes, they are. Mind you, I checked the prices for Egypt and they are way more expensive than buying a local sim. For example for data sim, it's 3 times more, 0.75 EGP (0.12$) compared to 0.25 for 1 MB. If I am not mistaken for regular sim it's 1.5$ (10EGP) per 100kb, i.e. 400 times more.
Am I correct in guessing that an iPhone will only accept SIM cards with talk minutes, text and data.. as opposed to an iPad that can take a SIM card with only data associated to said card?
I think so but I am not sure. I don't have data capable tablet.
Though I really only need the data itself. Nevertheless I'm totally willing to also get an appropriate SIM for my iPhone that gives me data alongside any small amount of minutes/sms. Ideally, I'd like a couple of GB's on the SIM to feel secure knowing I'm not gonna run out of data at a crucial point during my trip.

Hell i'd even be willing to buy a couple of SIMs if it secures me a good amount of GB's and I don't have to return to the cell phone shop during my stay.

For that, perhaps this is appropriate. I am not sure if it uses a data only sim. 10 EGP( ~1.5$) per 500 mb. So if you need, say 3GB you pay 9$ and you are fine. Nevertheless, you will get better answers at the store.

P.S. Just to clarify, I have no affiliation with Etisalat. I just find their site easier to navigate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.