Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hevnleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Received a brand new Macbook Pro... read up on some guides how to change the home directory name, because it wasn't my name and i'm fussy... now i wish i wasn't so.

So I erased the Macintosh HD drive, as suggested by this so called Apple guide *on the apple forums*, then found restore factory settings wasn't so easy.

I do the internet restore ... Mavericks cannot be installed on this computer.

I search up ways to load via USB install. Not happening.

Please help, I have 7 days until I leave to go help my father with radiation treatment with cancer, the whole reason my work bought me this computer. Now I'm cursing my fussiness with the home directory name, really? Was that the most important thing in life? But then again, Apple's Internet Restore, promises this **** won't happen. Three Apple technicians (by phone) can't help?

Your help would be very appreciated. Thank you in advance <3

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
It would help tremendously if you could give us the hardware specs of your Macbook Pro, what model is it? Did it come with Mavericks? Have you thought of taking it to an Apple Store?

Hevnleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Thanks, after 7 hours my iMac finished a backup, seems my new MacBook Pro is taking that, so hopefully should be fixed. I'd give you details of my Macbook Pro, but after the restore I couldn't get past restore :)

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
You could just install whatever version of OS X was available via internet recovery, then update it to Mavericks once it was setup.

There are also guides on how to make a USB installer for OS X using an already setup Mac.

Hevnleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Thanks, been through those already, all the guides i could find. Even the apple techs couldn't help. Thankfully, the latest Time Machine backup did the trick. 10.9.1 will not work with Internet Restore on the latest Macbook Pros. Luckily my iMac had 10.9.2 on it lol.

And trying to find a USB fix with 10.9.2 was damn near impossible.

Marty62

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
Berlin formerly London
Thanks, been through those already, all the guides i could find. Even the apple techs couldn't help. Thankfully, the latest Time Machine backup did the trick. 10.9.1 will not work with Internet Restore on the latest Macbook Pros. Luckily my iMac had 10.9.2 on it lol.

And trying to find a USB fix with 10.9.2 was damn near impossible.

Glad to hear that you got it sorted :)

Yet MORE reasons that I will not be going to 10.9.x anytime soon !!

M.

Hevnleigh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Tell me about it, I was severely upset today, from getting a macbook pro, to WTF and 7 hours of research and fixes....???

Anyway, soon I will be having a selfie on Facebook with my iMac, Macbook Pro , iPad Air, and newest iPhone, and still be an Apple geek.

Just a bit disappointed after all my fanatic fanfare, the Apple support couldn't assist me!

And I have little knowledge in PCs, yet can I can figure out system restore on my hubby's little virus-ridden laptop in 1/2 hour lol.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Tell me about it, I was severely upset today, from getting a macbook pro, to WTF and 7 hours of research and fixes....???

Anyway, soon I will be having a selfie on Facebook with my iMac, Macbook Pro , iPad Air, and newest iPhone, and still be an Apple geek.

Just a bit disappointed after all my fanatic fanfare, the Apple support couldn't assist me!

And I have little knowledge in PCs, yet can I can figure out system restore on my hubby's little virus-ridden laptop in 1/2 hour lol.

How did you get this to work? You used a backup off an iMac on a Macbook? 10.9.2 is a universal installer, it works on all machines as of today.

AirPlein1

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2014

My experience is that a Genius Bar appointment is the best to sort out issues like yours! I have always been squeamish about being a system beta-tester.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.