Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AquaTF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Hi everyone , new to forum as just bought a rmbp 13!
Just wondered what you would suggest the five must have rmbp accessories for the creative professional/average joe!
Thanks for any help!!!

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Just wondered what you would suggest the five must have rmbp accessories for the creative professional/average joe!
Thanks for any help!!!

The BookArc

The Kuzy leather case

The Sandisk small pen drive

A keyboard cover

Clear Day app (not an accessory but really nice)

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
5 !?!?
Only necessary accessory is a good quality case. All else optional (hmmm depending on how you feel about external DVD drives).

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
External monitor, any monitor would do as long as you're happy with it. See the hundreds of other threads about which one is best for your budget.

A Laptop stand, I recommend the rain mStand, very solid and simple.

An External keyboard and mouse/trackpad given that you pick up a screen and stand. Always nice to have though, little bit more freedom and/or comfort depending on the model.

A neoprene sleeve, I can't recommend any specific brand as they pretty much all do the same thing. Avoid sleeves with zippers, they're unnecessary with the proper design and without one there is less mechanics to go wrong.

Laptop bag for travelling and storing all that stuff, Targus makes some ok stuff, far from the best but very widely stocked.

Edit:
Some more stuff I thought about

External Harddrive 2TB (I have the Western Digital Ultra, it's great)

Headphones Any will work, but clearly some are better than others.

Hard Shell case for rMBP (I have the Speck SeeThru crystal finish)

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
1. A decent padded bag to carry it in - I have a Brenthaven bag that I bought in 2003 and still going strong.

2. Something to backup your data. I use an Apple Time Capsule, which can backup your data while the laptop is sleeping via WiFi.

3. If you need to do presentations you will need a VGA or DVI adaptor.

4. I prefer to use a mouse, rather than the trackpad, so I use an Apple Magic Mouse, however if you play games then look at some of the Razer Mice.

5. An external hard disk to store media files and projects either USB3 or Thunderbolt.

Last edited:

AquaTF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
1. A decent padded bag to carry it in - I have a Brenthaven bag that I bought in 2003 and still going strong.

2. Something to backup your data. I use an Apple Time Capsule, which can backup your data while the laptop is sleeping via WiFi.

3. If you need to do presentations you will need a VGA or HDMI adaptor.

4. I prefer to use a mouse, rather than the trackpad, so I use an Apple Magic Mouse, however if you play games then look at some of the Razer Mice.

5. An external hard disk to store media files and projects either USB3 or Thunderbolt.

Are there any fan favorites for bags to carry around in?

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
id say a sleeve, backpack/carrying case, possible mouse (though the trackpad is fantastic), external hard drive for backups and maybe a screen or keyboard cover.

phantomsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
Just ordered a 15 rMBP on Monday and have been researching accessories the last few days (you know how it is), haha.

Personally, here is my list...

- Laptop Stand (I have an mStand from Rain Design)
- Backpack (Incase Icon Pack)
- Case/Skin (OtterBox Clearly Protected Matte Skin... previously Wrapsol)
- External drive for storage (WD Passport Ultra, 1TB)
- Dropbox Pro 100GB (great if your workflow involves multiple devices)

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Hardware:
Charger

Software:
1Password

Those are pretty much the only MUST HAVE accessories I can think of for me.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
What makes 1Password so good?

There are other good password managers, and 1password is not cheap, but agile bits the developer has an excellent reputation for updating the product to keep up with changes in OSX and iOS, also their support is superb. I can't recommend it highly enough to be honest.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
1. Magsafe 2 adapter. You'll find yourself w/o your charger (especially since the battery last so long) and can't just plug into a regular magsafe power supply without this. Also good if you have extra older power supplies.

2. Thunderbolt>ethernet or USB3>ethernet adapter.

3. video adapters (HDMI>DVI, minidisplayport>VGA)

4. microfiber cloth for cleaning the screen

5. portable USB3 drive for backups (2 partitions: 1-time machine, 2-superduper or CCC)

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Thanks for any help!!!

These are my personal 5 best accessories that I use:
1. iPearl cover
2. Sharp PN-K322B touchscreen 4K monitor
3. LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD (with Samsung 840 Evo 250GB inside it)
4. CalDigit Thunderbolt Dock
5. Promises Pegasus R6 12TB RAID array

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Belkin Stand. Half the price of a Mstand here in Aus anyway.
Magic mouse.
Apple keyboard with number pad.
My passport Wd for back up
Toffee leather sleeve and bag.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
1) Eyes to see the screen
2) Brain to process the information
3) Ears to listen to the finally decent speakers
4) Arms with fingers to utilize the trackpad and keyboard
5) Legs to allow you to take the MBP from one place to another

:p

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I wouldn't recommend anything except a bag and an external/thumb drive. There are more useful applications you can get for the money you will waste on accessories.

What kind of creative are you? We all work differently. The only extras I have is an Intuos Creative Pen & Touch and a Mighty Mouse I bought in 2006 that I still use.

p3ntyne

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2014
Sydney, Australia
3. If you need to do presentations you will need a VGA or HDMI adaptor.

The rMBP's have a HDMI port.

To the OP, I would also suggest getting a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adaptor (you might not use it at home but it could be useful for travelling etc.), getting an optical drive (again, just in case) and a thunderbolt cable if you have another mac with thunderbolt (for transferring files quickly.)

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
bookarc stand for use at home
external USB keyboard and magic mouse for use at home
ATD for use at home (still the best monitor for rMBP)
Time Capsule for routing, wifi and backup at home

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
What makes 1Password so good?

It works brilliantly, receives constant updates and I can use it on my iPhone, iPad, OS X and my Windows computer. It syncs my passwords through dropbox in an encrypted file.

It's a must have in my opinion. I've tried other services and the big one is lastpass but they have had security breaches on their site in the past and I don't trust them with my passwords as a result. There is the chance for MITM attacks if a nefarious script were to get injected in to their web pages that could intercept passwords.

1Password is nice because it encrypts the data before it's stored in any cloud service and that's if you choose to use a cloud service at all, it's optional.

That combined with its broad operating system support means it's the best in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.