Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thidranki

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Virginia
Is there any app or method out there that lets me find out the language an application is written in?

Thanks

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
In the Finder, Get Info on the app (File: Get Info, or command-I) and there is a part of the window that has the languages that the app includes (localizations). From there, you can deselect languages, add, and even remove languages.
-Chasen

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think Thidranki was referring to the computer language an application is coded in. And the answer is no, there is no way to really tell because all code gets compiled into the same language--assembly. However, certain languages leave behind certain tell-tale signs and by poking around an app's package, you could probably figure out if it was written in Java, C#, Python, AppleScript, etc.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Oh my, do I feel stupid now. Yeah, I suppose that asking what language a program is in the "Mac Programming" section does, if any one person was a reasonable thinker, assume it's the programming language.

jamdr is right about finding what language a program was written in. Sorry I wasn't much help. :eek:
-Chasen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.