Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:22 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Report Claims iPhone 6 Will Feature Curved Display, All-Aluminum Rear Shell

Apple's next-generation iPhone may feature rounded edges and a curved glass display, according to a new report from Mac Otakara [Google Translate].

Citing "reliable sources", the publication notes that the iPhone 6's cover glass will sit flush with the device's rounded corners, departing from the straight edges seen on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s. The report likens the device's profile to the Squair Curvaceous Bumper, a Japan-made aluminum bumper for the iPhone that features a rounded housing.

The report also claims that Apple will do away with the rear glass antenna breaks found on the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s in favor of an all-aluminum design. Such a move would likely mean that Apple is incorporating significant changes to its overall antenna layout, perhaps positioning current radios in different locations.

Throughout the past few months, various reports have indicated that the iPhone 6 may feature slightly rounded edges. However, only a few reports have claimed that the device will feature a curved glass display, with Bloomberg noting last December that the company was working on two iPhones with large curved screens for this year. That account however was contrasted by The Wall Street Journal this past January, which said that Apple would not be using a curved display in its devices.

Renderings of the iPhone 6 (4.7") and iPhone 6 (5.7") based on leaked schematics
Apple will likely unveil the iPhone 6 later this year in two different sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. It is also likely that the smaller 4.7-inch version of the phone will ship first in the third quarter of this year, while the larger version is estimated to ship later due to challenges with the device's display technology and battery life.

In addition to a larger display, both versions of the iPhone 6 are expected to include a thinner, bezel-free design, faster A8 processor, Touch ID fingerprint sensor and an upgraded camera with optical image stabilization. The device is also expected to debut with Apple's latest iOS 8 mobile operating system, which will likely feature enhancements to Maps, Siri, and iCloud in addition to a new "Healthbook" app. Apple is also said to be negotiating with carriers to increase the price of the iPhone 6 by $100.

Article Link: Report Claims iPhone 6 Will Feature Curved Display, All-Aluminum Rear Shell
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:23 AM   #2
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65832

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
All-aluminium? Antennagate 2, here we come!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:24 AM   #3
JacinTatt
macrumors member

A curved display would be nice, but I can't see it offering any real benefit other than aesthetics. If anything it may make it harder to use the device, and that is something Apple aren't likely to do.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:25 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple's next-generation iPhone may feature rounded edges and a curved glass display, according to a new report from Mac Otakara [Google Translate].

Citing "reliable sources", the publication notes that the iPhone 6's cover glass will sit flush with the device's rounded corners, departing from the straight edges seen on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5s. The report likens the device's profile to the Squair Curvaceous Bumper, a Japan-made aluminum bumper for the iPhone that features a rounded housing.

The report also claims that Apple will do away with the rear glass antenna breaks found on the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5s in favor of an all-aluminum design. Such a move would likely mean that Apple is incorporating significant changes to its overall antenna layout, perhaps positioning current radios in different locations.

Throughout the past few months, various reports have indicated that the iPhone 6 may feature slightly rounded edges. However, only a few reports have claimed that the device will feature a curved glass display, with Bloomberg noting last December that the company was working on two iPhones with large curved screens for this year. That account however was contrasted by The Wall Street Journal this past January, which said that Apple would not be using a curved display in its devices.

Renderings of the iPhone 6 (4.7'') and iPhone 6 (5.7'') based on leaked schematics
Apple will likely unveil the iPhone 6 later this year in two different sizes of 4.7 inches and 5.5 inches. It is also likely that the smaller 4.7-inch version of the phone will ship first in the third quarter of this year, while the larger version is estimated to ship later due to challenges with the device's display technology and battery life.

In addition to a larger display, both versions of the iPhone 6 are expected to include a thinner, bezel-free design, faster A8 processor, Touch ID fingerprint sensor and an upgraded camera with optical image stabilization. The device is also expected to debut with Apple's latest iOS 8 mobile operating system, which will likely feature enhancements to Maps, Siri, and iCloud in addition to a new "Healthbook" app. Apple is also said to be negotiating with carriers to increase the price of the iPhone 6 by $100.

Article Link: Report Claims iPhone 6 Will Feature Curved Display, All-Aluminum Rear Shell

I like the bezel free idea, and the slightly larger screen...I've been using my 5S as my browsing tool the last few months and you do struggle at times with the screen.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:25 AM   #5
hestroy
macrumors member

I can't wait

I'm excited and I really can't wait! Need the BIG one!
hestroy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:25 AM   #6
iSteve-O
macrumors regular

So a $750 iPhone with 16GB of storage? Can't wait.

Last edited by iSteve-O; Apr 24, 2014 at 02:31 AM.
iSteve-O is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:28 AM   #7
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Curved Display ? I hope not, don't see the benefit.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:31 AM   #8
DFZD
macrumors regular

Not gonna happen, so soon.

22 iMac Late 2011 with Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, iPad Air with Logitech KB, iPod touch 5G. Xperia Z Ultra.

Last edited by DFZD; Apr 24, 2014 at 02:36 AM.
DFZD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:31 AM   #9
xmichaelp
macrumors 65816

I never got why the antenna reception couldn't go through the front glass bezel, either above or below the screen.
xmichaelp is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:32 AM   #10
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

The first iPhone had a plastic cutout... and the iPhone 3G and 3GS had a plastic back to allow the antennas to work.

The iPhone 4 and 4S had a glass back... and the iPhone 5 and 5S had a glass window for the antennas.

But since all iPhones have a glass front... what would prevent Apple from putting antennas beneath the glass on either side of the earpiece and home button?
Michael Scrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:32 AM   #11
rudychidiac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSteve-O View Post
So a $750 iPhone with 16GB of memory? Can't wait.
You know? The 16GB unlocked model in my country costs $850... When the 5S was first released, the 16GB costed $1,200.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:34 AM   #12
Romey-Rome
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacinTatt View Post
A curved display would be nice, but I can't see it offering any real benefit other than aesthetics. If anything it may make it harder to use the device, and that is something Apple aren't likely to do.
Probably would be better for one-handed operation on a large(r) screen.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post
The first iPhone had a plastic cutout... and the iPhone 3G and 3GS had a plastic back to allow the antennas to work.

The iPhone 4 and 4S had a glass back... and the iPhone 5 and 5S had a glass window for the antennas.

But since all iPhones have a glass front... what would prevent Apple from putting antennas beneath the glass on either side of the earpiece and home button?
Your head interference?
Romey-Rome is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:37 AM   #13
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

The HTC One X had a 1280x720 4.7" curved display ... It's not something new in the market. The curve (if true) will be very slight and nothing like the LG Flex or Samsung Round...

An all aluminium rear back would rule out wireless charging though..
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:38 AM   #14
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romey-Rome View Post

Your head interference?
Maybe.

It's amazing that a device that fits in your pocket can connect to a cell tower miles away... but it seems weird that a human head weighing 8 pounds would cause that much of a problem.

Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:46 AM   #15
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Maybe.

It's amazing that a device that fits in your pocket can connect to a cell tower miles away... but it seems weird that a human head weighing 8 pounds would cause that much of a problem.

Pointing a mobile phone antenna directly at your brain seems not to be a very good idea and may exceed the SAR value.
rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 6+/128/sg, 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:47 AM   #16
iSteve-O
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudychidiac View Post
You know? The 16GB unlocked model in my country costs $850... When the 5S was first released, the 16GB costed $1,200.
Price is ridiculous isn't it? If only it has micro-SD support but that's never gonna happen.
iSteve-O is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:50 AM   #17
peterdevries
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Maybe.

It is possible, Michael Knight had a metal plate in his head as a consequence of being shot in the head.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:55 AM   #18
iKaushal
macrumors 6502

I love that bumper
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:55 AM   #19
atlatnesiti
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hestroy View Post
I'm excited and I really can't wait! Need the BIG one!
Down boy, I have a big one already...
Seriously though, Apple needs to totally redesign iPhone 6 to capture mobile phone market.
atlatnesiti is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:58 AM   #20
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post

Pointing a mobile phone antenna directly at your brain seems not to be a very good idea and may exceed the SAR value.
And how thick is an iPhone?

The antenna is already close to your head. I feel like I'm already getting nuked!
Michael Scrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:05 AM   #21
majkom
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlatnesiti View Post
Down boy, I have a big one already...
Seriously though, Apple needs to totally redesign iPhone 6 to capture mobile phone market.
To capture? What do you mean? Over 40 millions high end iphones sold in a quarter - more than any high end smartphone makes in a year.. So, what do you mean by capture???
majkom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:11 AM   #22
MacFather
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
All-aluminium? Antennagate 2, here we come!

MacFather is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:11 AM   #23
elvetio
macrumors member

I think it's about time you guys here on mac rumours to actually start picking your news sources more thourouly. It seems that you just post whatever you find and label it as 'news'. Even if it's conflicting with something you said just one week ago..
Use 9to5mac as an example.. I only keep coming here because your format is much better and the forums are great. Otherwise, I would have sticked with 9to5 long ago.
elvetio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:21 AM   #24
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvetio View Post
I think it's about time you guys here on mac rumours to actually start picking your news sources more thourouly.
If I'm not mistaken, Mac Otakara actually has a decent track record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvetio View Post
It seems that you just post whatever you find and label it as 'news'. Even if it's conflicting with something you said just one week ago..
Two different often-reliable sources can still have conflicting information. The site is MacRumors, not MacFact. If you only want to read about things that are 100% certain, may I direct you to http://www.apple.com

Last edited by Chaszmyr; Apr 24, 2014 at 03:27 AM.
Chaszmyr is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 03:22 AM   #25
allanfries
macrumors regular

Oh, such silliness!! :roll eyes:

Oh, the pain, the pain!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion