Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A pair of patent applications published today by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and spotted by AppleInsider describes how an electronic device such as an iPhone, iPad or even a wristwatch could be used to detect ambient conditions such as temperature, pressure, humidity and sound. The applications appear just as Apple has been rumored to be incorporating such functionality into the iPhone 6, and the company's rumored iWatch has also been said to include an array of sensors.

enviro_sensors_cutaway.jpg
Cutaway view showing environmental sensors inside a mesh-covered recess in a device's body
The first patent, titled "Electronic Devices With Environmental Sensors," describes a device equipped with a speaker, microphone and a suite of sensors to monitor environmental conditions in the immediate surroundings. Sensor components may include a temperature sensor, a pressure sensor, a humidity sensor and other sensor combinations.
An electronic device may be provided with environmental sensors. Environmental sensors may include one or more environmental sensor components and one or more acoustic components. Acoustic components may include a speaker or a microphone. Environmental sensor components may include a temperature sensor, a pressure sensor, a humidity sensor, or other sensors or combinations of sensors for sensing attributes of the environment surrounding the device.
The second patent, "Electronic Devices With Temperature Sensors," is more specific, covering electronic devices that can monitor ambient temperature. In this scenario, a thermal sensor could be embedded into a button, switch or slider component. A piece of thermally conductive metal could be used to transfer temperature data from the air or from an item such as a finger placed on the material to a sensor embedded within the device.

Though these are inventions and not a specific feature roadmap for future devices, they do suggest Apple is considering the ways in which sensors could be incorporated into a device to improve the overall user experience. For example, Apple could use the temperature sensor technology to build an iWatch that could warn you when you are starting to overheat while mowing the lawn in the high summer heat.

Looking beyond the patent applications, Apple has been hiring experts from the health and medical sensor field in recent years. The long list of new hires include former Philips sleep researcher Roy J.E.M Raymann, biosensor hardware engineer Nancy Dougherty, pulse oximetry expert Michael O'Reilly and others. These engineers allegedly are joining Apple to work on its iWatch team, which may also include exercise physiologists and other non-hardware experts.

Apple's iWatch is rumored to include biometric functions such as pulse rate, blood oxygen saturation, glucose levels and more. Apple is said to be making the health-tracking experience more accessible to the general public and may use the iOS 8 Healthbook app to compile this health and fitness data and present it in a user-friendly way.

Article Link: Apple Researching Temperature, Pressure, and Humidity Sensors for Mobile Devices

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Just put all the available sensors in your device Apple
and let the developers be creative of what it can do.

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
THIS is what i've been waiting for! No reason we shouldn't have weather sensors on our phones. Temp, humidity, barometer, etc. Would be so awesome.

Umm... I expect all these sensors to be health sensors. Because carrying the iPhone in your pocket for a few minute is enough to manipulate weather calculations.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
THIS is what i've been waiting for! No reason we shouldn't have weather sensors on our phones. Temp, humidity, barometer, etc. Would be so awesome.

Why would that be so awesome? If we are with our watches (which, presumably, we are) then we know what the weather is. We are there! Who cares what the exact values of humidity etc. are? If we are sweating, it is humid, and so on. Incidentally, awesome is a rather overused word, I feel. If Jesus came to Earth and ended famine and disease overnight, that would be awesome. A watch... any watch... it's not actually awesome, is it?

PriyashMaini

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
India
Wow. That's Great. I mean Apple is seriously the most Intelligent and creative Brand and will always remain the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Apple always catching up to the game. My Note 3 has all of this already built in lol. Not dragging on Apple by any means either just saying it's nice they're gonna do it but it could have been way sooner.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Apple always catching up to the game. My Note 3 has all of this already built in lol. Not dragging on Apple by any means either just saying it's nice they're gonna do it but it could have been way sooner.

The Note 3 has everything under the sun in it, unfortunately to fit it all in they had to make it the size of a small dog.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Why would that be so awesome? If we are with our watches (which, presumably, we are) then we know what the weather is. We are there! Who cares what the exact values of humidity etc. are? If we are sweating, it is humid, and so on. Incidentally, awesome is a rather overused word, I feel. If Jesus came to Earth and ended famine and disease overnight, that would be awesome. A watch... any watch... it's not actually awesome, is it?

Why bring your religious symbol into it?

And why interpret awesome so literally?

I'm still awed by technology all of the time. Think about the amazing things that can be done with computers. Quit being so high-and-mighty.

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
The Note 3 has everything under the sun in it, unfortunately to fit it all in they had to make it the size of a small dog.

The S4 as well has it too. And yea it is pretty big but I didn't even notice the difference much. I had a 5S shortly before getting this thing and it's negligible in size for me. An iPhone with an otterbox and this thing with a zerolemon were within margins of each other.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Why bring your religious symbol into it?

And why interpret awesome so literally?

I'm still awed by technology all of the time. Think about the amazing things that can be done with computers. Quit being so high-and-mighty.

Just for a bit of fun, since you asked. And I'm not in the least bit religious. But I would certainly be in awe if what I said happened tomorrow. I don't think a watch that can tell me the temperature would fill me with awe, but I'm not easily pleased. Good for you, though, which I mean sincerely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.