Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

carplay_icon.jpg
Following last month's formal introduction of Apple's CarPlay system for integrating iPhones with in-dash vehicle systems, there were some questions about whether the feature would be able to make its way to aftermarket products or if it would be limited to auto manufacturers putting it into brand-new vehicles. That question was answered earlier this month, with both Alpine and Pioneer announcing their plans to launch CarPlay-compatible systems.

Pioneer appears to be in the best position to move quickly with CarPlay, as its latest NEX systems already include CarPlay-compatible hardware, which will be enabled with a firmware update expected in early summer. In contrast, Alpine will not be launching its CarPlay support until the fall as part of new product debuts.

MacRumors recently spoke with Ted Cardenas, marketing vice president in Pioneer's car electronics division, and he shared a bit of perspective about CarPlay and its development. Far from being taken by surprise by Apple's CarPlay announcement last month, Cardenas notes that Apple signaled to Pioneer that there would be coming changes to in-car connectivity even prior to last year's Worldwide Developers Conference, where Apple first showed what was then known as iOS in the Car as part of its iOS 7 preview.

pioneer_carplay.jpg
According to Cardenas, development picked up in earnest in July of last year, with Apple putting together a dedicated team to help car manufacturers and aftermarket electronics companies build out their CarPlay support. Unsurprisingly, Apple took a fairly hands-on role in the process, sharing specifications and other information to assist Pioneer with its work.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: Pioneer Talks CarPlay: Working with Apple, Pricing, and the Future

afro-ninja

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2013
I get that it can't be the cheapest, but how is what's basically a glorified iPhone mirror more expensive than the top-end iPhone?? :confused:

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
the faster they market it the better their revenue :D
I would be the first to buy when this thing comes out.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I get that it can't be the cheapest, but how is what's basically a glorified iPhone mirror more expensive than the top-end iPhone?? :confused:
Well, it does have several things that a phone doesn't. Like an HD radio, audio amplifier, larger screen, DVD player, etc. But yeah, these things are pretty high priced. A better comparison IMO is to a home audio device. So, how can one of the best home receivers around be MSRP $1300 (Denon X4000), and some of these little car devices are more?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
I hope they're true to their word about getting the integration right. I've been looking into a head unit, but was waiting for CarPlay news. If they have it working great on that 8000 series I'd love to get me some capacitave touchiness in my dash.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
And stick the WiFi radio where? Obvious answer of being directly inside the unit is going to lead to very poor performance because of all the metal around it. :rolleyes:
Not sure if serious....
Car receivers have external antennas. Plural, in the case of products like this.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Would be much cheaper if they just used a "dumb" screen where the phone pushes video to the screen instead, kind of like apple tv but for cars. Then the apps could just do all the processing and what not on the phone and send it to the display. But no, that would be the logical choice. Then you could have other companies send their content to the screen in the same way so your no locked into a particular phone company. I am so disappointed by what the cell phone companies decided to do with the in car infotainment... just not what's best for the consumer.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
A new Pioneer head unit with CarPlay may finally allow me to replace my aging Ford Sync system in my car, I know that it can all be retained using adapters but that's just an expensive hassle.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I don't think I would go out and find a car with this in it. It would be nice if the car I wanted included it, but so far it just doesn't seem all that exciting... just me?

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Okay I love apple but this interface looks ugly as sin

Car companies should be allowed to skin the icons or do something

Ugh so ugly

melbri

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
I was all set to go get a NEX5000 for my 2013 F-150, but much to my disappointment, there is no dash kit for the 2013 F150, other than Metra. Metra is $600 and it puts the head unit quite low, not ideal. Very disappointed.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Why not just put a retina iPad mini in the centre console, and use Siri for voice commands. An iPhone could also be used as a wireless hotspot while driving for the iPad.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA

Is it actually mirrored, or does the iPhone use the in-dash display as a secondary (non-mirrored) display? If it's the former, I'm not interested, but the latter would be fine.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Would be much cheaper if they just used a "dumb" screen where the phone pushes video to the screen instead, kind of like apple tv but for cars. Then the apps could just do all the processing and what not on the phone and send it to the display. But no, that would be the logical choice. Then you could have other companies send their content to the screen in the same way so your no locked into a particular phone company. I am so disappointed by what the cell phone companies decided to do with the in car infotainment... just not what's best for the consumer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what CarPlay does? It streams H.264 video from the iPhone to the CarPlay-compatible hardware and handles sending/receiving of touch events, and of course audio streaming. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what reports I've read have said.

As for lock-in, if it supports MirrorLink (an open standards based equivalent to CarPlay which has existed well before CarPlay), you're not locked in to one company. Many of the newer Android devices support MirrorLink, and it's an open standards so anyone can support it. And Pioneer is planning to support MirrorLink in these devices (if they don't already?).

That said, I think this part is overblown and may be Pioneer trying to justify selling the NEX, which may be overkill:
"But CarPlay requires robust technology, and the multi-core processors, significant RAM and onboard storage"

I would think you'd need little more than a chip for decoding H.264 and some basic hardware. Like you said, the kind of hardware found in an Apple TV I think would be sufficient (along with some basic car audio hardware including a touch screen). I think it would be possible for a reasonably priced (like $350) receiver that has both CarPlay and MirrorLink support to be produced.

melbri

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
I'm not an expert on head units, but a quick look at the Pioneer website seems to show the NEX as different than AppRadio. Look a the specs, NEX offers more than Appradio, this is probably the difference in the price.

melbri

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
The point is to get your eyes off your phone and focused on driving. The iPhone is just a source device. I agree the cost of a head unit does not need to be in the price range of the NEX units, its just that the NEX units are compatible, on purpose or not, and Pioneer is capitalizing on that. Prices wil come down, unless Apple charges a premium for the licence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.