Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I've been using Alfred for a few months now, and it's becoming one of the first apps I install on every computer I get. What do you think of Alfred?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I love it so much that I bought the Mega (lifetime upgrades) license.

It is hands down the single most used app on my Mac.

Same here... could not get by without some of my workflows.

JQanG0J.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It seems nice enough with decent features but in all honesty I don't use it. I kept going back to spotlight

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
When I first started using alfred, I loved it. Then I went to use another computer and tried to go into alfred. Problem is, the computer didn't have alfred installed. I still do that sometimes... :eek:

wnorris

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
It seems nice enough with decent features but in all honesty I don't use it. I kept going back to spotlight

Same here. I just prefer how Spotlight presents what it finds. Granted I rarely used Alfred's advanced features, but for my usage I prefer Spotlight.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Same here. I just prefer how Spotlight presents what it finds. Granted I rarely used Alfred's advanced features, but for my usage I prefer Spotlight.

Alfred is so much more than an app launcher. Aside from that aspect, it's hard to seriously compare Spotlight to it.

Same here... could not get by without some of my workflows.

Exactly. It's worth it for workflows alone. Then there's the clipboard features, file actions, 1Password integration. The list goes on and on.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I use it all the time, but I still miss the venerable quicksilver, which was one of first tools I discovered after switching to Mac. Quicksilver had even more awesome tools like the ability to drag and drop, perform more robust actions on items, heck I could even batch resize a bunch of photos super easily.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I love the way Spotlight integrates QuickLook. And it's currently still smarter at finding relevant things which results to less typing while still giving more accurate results. It's also less laggy atm with certain themes.

Launchbar is better than both at that and one of the originals app lauchers, but i use workflows alot so yeah.

I use it all the time, but I still miss the venerable quicksilver, which was one of first tools I discovered after switching to Mac. Quicksilver had even more awesome tools like the ability to drag and drop, perform more robust actions on items, heck I could even batch resize a bunch of photos super easily.

With the powerpack there is the file buffer. it's kind of like a clipboard and you can move files around through it and select multiple items at once. it is rather limited though. No image preview, can't batch resize images (with a workflow you can write a script for that).

Last edited:

hfuhruhurr

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
Denver
It took a while to get into the habit of using it but once it became a habit, it became my favorite tool. Granted, I probably under-utilize it because I find myself using it mostly for a quick calculator and a quick way to launch apps. The workflows are awesome and therein lies the power. I modified and used the currency conversion workflow when I lived in Peru and I occasionally use the battery workflow to get a quick status of my battery health.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
One of my favorite apps. I'm so used to it now, that when I'm on a Mac that doesn't have it, I literally sit there for a few moments trying to remember how to do something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.