Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maculas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2013
Hi

I was just wondering, IF we get a new Mac Mini this year.
How long does it take on average before we know things like if we can replace the hard drive and ram ourselves?

I've never been a fan of paying Apple to increase the ram, or buying half the maximum ram and being stuck with it for the rest of the devices life.
I'd much rather buy the lowest amount of ram from apple and upgrade via OWC later.

Anyway just curious really, if it takes a month before we know that stuff, then a june release (not just announcement) means a july purchase…
and I really want a new computer now...

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi

I was just wondering, IF we get a new Mac Mini this year.
How long does it take on average before we know things like if we can replace the hard drive and ram ourselves?

I've never been a fan of paying Apple to increase the ram, or buying half the maximum ram and being stuck with it for the rest of the devices life.
I'd much rather buy the lowest amount of ram from apple and upgrade via OWC later.

Anyway just curious really, if it takes a month before we know that stuff, then a june release (not just announcement) means a july purchase…
and I really want a new computer now...

Items that Apple deems user replaceable (i.e. RAM IF replaceable) is usually known right away since they will release KB's telling you how to do it. Hard drives usually require a tear down from someone like iFixit. iFixit is usually pretty quick to get a hold of hardware (since that's how they drive traffic to their website). Usually within a week of actual physical release.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The Mini is usually one of the few Apple items that is on sale directly after the announcement. So it will be on Youtube in 24 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.