Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi guys,

So for the last few months I've been writing a pretty big iOS app that has me challenged all the time. Which is great.

I've also been wanting to do more community wise. I love the whole open source idea and I'd actually like to contribute to some projects.

I just have a few questions;

1.How do I find projects to contribute to?
2. Is my work reviewed before its put into the project?

Since I am still fairly new to iOS development - I'd like someone to make sure my code doesn't break the project.

Any tips on this sort of this would be appreciated. :D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
2. Is my work reviewed before its put into the project?

Varies from project to project, I'd say.

IDK, I find an easier way of "doing more community wise" is answering questions on Stack Overflow. Not easy in the sense of "easy questions", but it's easy in the sense of you just look at a section of Stack Overflow that you're particularly knowledgable about and answer the questions that pop up in it from time to time... you don't have to search for ways to help.

Also, put your Stack Overflow username on your resume - I've had more than one employer tell me that they hired me based on answers they saw me post on Stack Overflow or on Top Coder.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks guys, I'll just browse GitHub.

ArtOfWarfare: I'm always on StackOverFlow and answer questions every day (Where I am knowledgeable on ) so I guess that is kind of helping / giving back to the community?

I currently don't need to put my SO username on a resume as I am employed as an iOS developer (Started off with my company knowing hardly anything and they have taken time out to train me and get all the study material I needed) a year on and coding almost every day I have learnt a hell of a lot. But I want to start doing other things as well away from my main project.

However thanks for the tip - I'll definitely do that next time I need to look for employment. :)
Thanks again gents.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks guys, I'll just browse GitHub.

ArtOfWarfare: I'm always on StackOverFlow and answer questions every day (Where I am knowledgeable on ) so I guess that is kind of helping / giving back to the community?

I currently don't need to put my SO username on a resume as I am employed as an iOS developer (Started off with my company knowing hardly anything and they have taken time out to train me and get all the study material I needed) a year on and coding almost every day I have learnt a hell of a lot. But I want to start doing other things as well away from my main project.

However thanks for the tip - I'll definitely do that next time I need to look for employment. :)
Thanks again gents.

I'm not unemployed either, but I get calls every 2-3 weeks from people saying they saw me on this site or that site and they want to make me an offer to work at this company or that company. It's nice being in demand - I don't even have to look for work because it comes to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.