Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Since the release of the iPhone 5s last September, most observers have expected that the Touch ID fingerprint feature will be making its way into the iPad lineup as Apple is able ramp up production on the sensors, so it is no surprise that KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo earlier this month predicted that both the iPad Air and Retina iPad mini will be gaining the feature later this year.

Actual evidence of iPad Touch ID support has now been discovered by French iOS developer Pierre Blazquez, as noted by iDownloadBlog. The evidence comes in the form of a BiometricKit bundle in iOS that serves as the framework for the Touch ID functionality, with the bundle being listed as compatible with both iPhone/iPod and iPad families.

touch_id_ipad_biometrickit.jpg

Apple classifies its iOS devices into three families, with iPhone/iPod receiving a "1" designation, iPad receiving a "2" designation, and Apple TV classified as "3". BiometricKit is currently showing compatibility with both 1 and 2 families, although it is not exactly clear when iPad was added to the list.

Apple is likely to stick to its typical yearly upgrade cycle for this iPad generation, meaning that new iPads should appear in the latter part of this year. Kuo predicts that the new iPads will appear in late Q3 around the same time as new iPhones and perhaps Apple's much-rumored iWatch.

Update 9:07 AM: As noted by Benjamin Mayo, the reference has been around for "several iOS updates", but it still indicates that iPad support is likely in the works.

Article Link: Hints of Touch ID Support for iPad Found in iOS 7.1 Code

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Mindblower!

I thought they were just going to keep it for the iPhone forever like they did with Siri...

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
This is one of the things I've been waiting for before I upgrade my iPad.

An obvious and welcome addition indeed!

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
It was inevitable! This should have already been implemented in iPad Air and Mini Retina to begin with.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so, TouchID, same A8 as iPhone 6, and maybe a thinner device thanks to display rumour?

dauby88

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
No surprise here. Now lets hope they incorporate multiple user accounts into iOS 8. Touch ID is a great gateway to separate user logins.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.

They have that 64 bit processor that they need to put to work.

I have a IPad 2 that works just as well as the new ones.

Give me a reason to upgrade.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The IPad is getting stale. Apple needs to step up and set this thing apart from all other tablets.

A few months back I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air, and the difference in network/download/browsing speed is huge, the Air has MIMO while the 2 doesn't. That alone made it worthwhile for me, not to mention the A7 is so much faster, and the iPad itself smaller & lighter without compromising the screen. And obviously, the iPad 2 isn't Retina either.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

I'm not saying the iPad isn't getting "stale" (I think Apple could easily make it a killer device with adding split-screen, multiple users & a very basic way to manage files (see my signature)), but the latest iPad has many advantages of your iPad 2:

1. Noticeable faster/more RAM
2. Better Cameras
3. Noticeable better screen
4. Siri (and other software features)
5. Faster Wireless

Just because something is 'good enough' doesn't mean the newer devices aren't significantly better.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Not stale to me. GF has co-opted my iPad 3 while I use my mini daily. But I'd like a full size iPad Air for around the house. Maybe this one with just wifi.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
This year Apple will enter as probably first quad core 64 bit processor with ipads and iphone 6

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
What incredible nonsense.

That is baloney right from the start.
They already do put it to work! IOS 7 was significantly updated to leverage the 64 nature of the A7 processor.
Obviously you haven't picked a recent iPad, ipad 2 isn't even close to the new hardware.

If iPad 2 works for you, you have no reason to even think about an upgrade.

----------

Am I the only one who still haven't found an use for the iPad ?

In my case I use the thing more and more everyday. It just works well for me.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
A few months back I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air, and the difference in network/download/browsing speed is huge, the Air has MIMO while the 2 doesn't. That alone made it worthwhile for me, not to mention the A7 is so much faster, and the iPad itself smaller & lighter without compromising the screen. And obviously, the iPad 2 isn't Retina either.

I'm not saying the iPad isn't getting "stale" (I think Apple could easily make it a killer device with adding split-screen, multiple users & a very basic way to manage files (see my signature)), but the latest iPad has many advantages of your iPad 2:

1. Noticeable faster/more RAM
2. Better Cameras
3. Noticeable better screen
4. Siri (and other software features)
5. Faster Wireless

Just because something is 'good enough' doesn't mean the newer devices aren't significantly better.

Yes, these are good reasons but the same experience as my IPad 2.

I would like some multitasking and add a file structure with micro USB or micro card reader.

Improve the total experience.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Will anyone actually going to upgrade from iPad Air to iPad Air 2 just for TouchID? The current iPad Air and iPad mini are fast enough for next two or three year. I personally won't upgrade just because of TouchID..Apple need to bring something really different to the tablet to lure iPad Air user to upgrade

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Mindblower!

I thought they were just going to keep it for the iPhone forever like they did with Siri...

Uh, didn't the FIRST iPad to be released after the introduction of Siri include Siri???

How did they keep it "iPhone forever" if it immediately came out for iPad?

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012

Ok so you are complaining current gen iPad is not an upgrade from your current model. I think you must have missed a memo or something but you are missing out big time. The retina screen alone is worth the upgrade, it's smaller, lighter like 20x as powerful cpu/gpu, better cameras front and back... the list goes on and on. You sound like the kind of guy who sticks on windows xp on his archaic gateway pc from the late 90s because it works just as good. quite clearly there is massive differences in every aspect and apple is doing plenty to advance the iPad. There is nothing stale about it and clearly apple is miles ahead in software and hardware for tablets, you say other tablets like they have even a chance against the package of the iPad right now.

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Dangit, this is exactly what I wanted last year but I jumped on the new hardware anyway. I assume I'm not the only one.

what-to-do-now-make-your-move-week-10.jpg

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
So the Air 2 is going to have a laminated screen and Touch ID? Sounds good enough to wait for. Really hope they go 2 GBs of RAM in the next gen of iDevices though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.