Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bassx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
I hope I'm posting this in the right board.

About a week ago the (built in) keyboard of my MBP (13" mid 2010) all of a sudden stopped working. I ended up reinstalling OSX but it was still unresponsive and now I'm stuck in registration process without a functioning keyboard to finish installation.

My question is- if I buy an external keyboard (the Apple one w/ extension cable) does it need some kind of configuring on my part through settings, or will the MBP automatically recognize it and start working once I plug it in?

bcgullett

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
For an improved choice, over the wired Apple model, I would recommend the Logitech K750 (for Mac). It is wireless, designed inline with Apple's style and has a much more ergonomically located number keypad on the far right, as opposed to just the numbers along the top of the letter keys as on the standard built-in layout. The keys are designed to pair up with Apple's OEM keyboard layout as well and the battery life is second to anything I've ever owned in regards to sustaining battery life (which is charged via a solar strip that runs along the top. I am very satisfied with the choice to go with it over the external Apple model.

bassx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2014
Thanks for the responses.

My problem is that I'm not done installing OSX and I'm stuck on the registration screen in the installation process and I can't go beyond that without a functioning keyboard. So there's no way to access any kind of keyboard setup process since I don't have OSX setup yet (I checked out the Logitech keyboard on YT and it does require a setup). It needs to be strictly plug and play.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
If it's only temporary you could still plug in any cheap USB keyboard there. I don't understand what the exact issue is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.