Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I have searched over and over and can't figure out my issue. I have a TimeCapsule (previous gen) that has a Mac Mini (late 2012) ethernet connected to it. We also have 2 MacBooks (1 Air and 1 Retina Pro) that wirelessly connect to the network.

Both laptops, when navigating in Finder or other apps, can see the shared drives on the Mac Mini. However, only the MacBook Air can TimeMachine backup to both the Mac Mini and the Time Capsule. The MacBook Retina Pro can only backup to the Time Capsule (the TM settings for the Pro do not show the Mini in the Select Disk section).

I can't seem to figure out why...since I can see the Mini from the pro (and all of the files on the drive I want to back up to) I believe that I have the settings correct. And for whatever reason, no issues with the Air. Anyone ever experience this problem? Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you have OS X Server installed in the Mini? That provides official Time Machine server support and may be why you are having problems.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Do you have OS X Server installed in the Mini? That provides official Time Machine server support and may be why you are having problems.

No, just the "regular" version of Mavericks on the Mini. Seems to work fine for everything else, even backing up the other MacBook Air. And from the MBP I have no problems seeing the drive in finder and being able to read and write and so on. Just can't figure out what's different between the two laptops.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No, just the "regular" version of Mavericks on the Mini. Seems to work fine for everything else, even backing up the other MacBook Air. And from the MBP I have no problems seeing the drive in finder and being able to read and write and so on. Just can't figure out what's different between the two laptops.

Just regular Mavs (without the server add-on) does not support TM backups, so that may be why it is inconsistent for you.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Just regular Mavs (without the server add-on) does not support TM backups, so that may be why it is inconsistent for you.

I'd be willing to try it as long as it fixes it. Strange though that I don't need Server for the other one to work (for the past 7 months without issue) but just can't even see the Mini in the TimeMachine drive list from the MBP.

Any downsides to adding Server to my Mac Mini (which is just the base unit, not the purchased server model).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'd be willing to try it as long as it fixes it. Strange though that I don't need Server for the other one to work (for the past 7 months without issue) but just can't even see the Mini in the TimeMachine drive list from the MBP.

Any downsides to adding Server to my Mac Mini (which is just the base unit, not the purchased server model).

I don't really see any downside. It is only $20 and 179MB. You can see a list of features here.

I agree it is odd some machines work and others don't. :confused:

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I don't really see any downside. It is only $20 and 179MB. You can see a list of features here.

I agree it is odd some machines work and others don't. :confused:

I bought it and downloaded it a few hours ago. Seems to be working fine. I"m sure it has more capabilities than I need at the moment, but the TimeMachine backup is working fine from my MacBook. Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I bought it and downloaded it a few hours ago. Seems to be working fine. I"m sure it has more capabilities than I need at the moment, but the TimeMachine backup is working fine from my MacBook. Thanks!

Oh good! So the Air and the Retina can both do a TM backup to the Mini now?

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Oh good! So the Air and the Retina can both do a TM backup to the Mini now?

Yep, the Server app created a folder (Shared Items/Backups) on my USB drive that is connected to my Mini (where I had the MBA backup previously) and now both are backing up to that new folder just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.