Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Megadeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Hi all; first timer here. I've about 70 iPad Air boxes from my company's training department that were going to be trashed. I took them off their hands. Is there a resale/collectors market out there? I've sold retail boxes before (legitimately, nothing nefarious), but I'm ready to 86 these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 366

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi all; first timer here. I've about 70 iPad Air boxes from my company's training department that were going to be trashed. I took them off their hands. Is there a resale/collectors market out there? I've sold retail boxes before (legitimately, nothing nefarious), but I'm ready to 86 these.

eBay ? Maybe ?

Kangda

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I do not get it. How can these empty boxes be used legitimately and not nefariously? Empty boxes without the actual iPads? How can someone use these empty boxes in any way that could possibly be appropriate? Can anyone explain this to me???

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I do not get it. How can these empty boxes be used legitimately and not nefariously? Empty boxes without the actual iPads? How can someone use these empty boxes in any way that could possibly be appropriate? Can anyone explain this to me???

The only reason I can think of is that someone selling an iPad might want the box in order to boost its resale value.

John Megadeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Boxes for iPhones and iPads are used legitimately to sell used items for a higher price. If you're going to trade in an iPhone to Amazon, you'll get a higher value if it has the original packaging as opposed to just the phone itself. If you're going to sell an item on the open market (e.g., eBay, craigslist), brokers and resellers often times prefer to have the complete package, so when they resell them overseas, they bet a higher return. Finally, if you bought a device to give to someone as a gift, it las much nicer to receive it in the package. This is not intended or scammers to package with loose paper and dupe someone into thinking it's the actual device itself.

Apple and eBay have an agreement to not allow auctions for Apple items that are not generally sold as standalone products. In the past, I've sold boxes very clearly listed for the reasons above.

Long story short, it's a legitimate reason that many people do. I'll likely recycle them, as they're taking up too much space.

If someone here wants them, they can have them for the cost of shipping (I don't care to make money off of them at this point; consider it my first Karma on this forum).

John Megadeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think eBay has discontinued allowing empty iDevice boxes to be sold.

Correct. It's a recent change, unfortunately. I've had these listed on there for a few days here and there, but they always get flagged. It's annoying, as other auctions are allowed to go through fruition. Oh well.

John Megadeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Hahaha I would. But as an employee being assigned this, I think it would get a little old after maybe 5. Well, unless I got to keep the apple stickers.

I have those in a drawer :)

----------

If anything, I may go scatter some around town and watch what people do.

John Megadeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Haha 135 Apple stickers....
Put them all over a co workers desk and stuff.
Take them to an Apple store stick them all over stuff. Hahaha

I mean I may go take the boxes and see what people do. Maybe go to the mall and make it rain off the balcony.

Kangda

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
I understand how people like to buy items, preferably with the original box and packaging. That, I understand. But don't all these empty boxes have iPad serial numbers on them? Namely, iPad serial numbers that will NOT correlate with whatever iPad someone later put into the box? If someone buys the empty box so they can sell their iPad, the serial number on the empty box will presumably not match the iPad serial number. What good is a box if the serial number does not match the device inside? Doesn't that already seem like a red flag for sketchyness?

I also assumed they wouldn't be stuffed with paper and sold fraudulently. I just don't see how the box is useful if the serial number on the box and the device will not match up.

John Megadeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
I understand how people like to buy items, preferably with the original box and packaging. That, I understand. But don't all these empty boxes have iPad serial numbers on them? Namely, iPad serial numbers that will NOT correlate with whatever iPad someone later put into the box? If someone buys the empty box so they can do sell their iPad, the serial number on the empty box will presumably not match the iPad serial number. What good is a box if the serial number does not match the device inside? Doesn't that already seem like a red flag for sketchyness?

That's a valid point; however, the serial numbers are generally taken off, as they're useless. Just as you can have the IMEI number to a phone doesn't mean you can do anything malicious. Warranties follow the device, not the box or a number. The boxes are more nice to have when selling, since it makes the item more complete.

MisakixMikasa

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
That's a valid point; however, the serial numbers are generally taken off, as they're useless. Just as you can have the IMEI number to a phone doesn't mean you can do anything malicious. Warranties follow the device, not the box or a number. The boxes are more nice to have when selling, since it makes the item more complete.

I am pretty sure if you want to trade in your iPad on BestBuy, they will check if iPad's serial number math the serial number on the box. I just traded in my first gen. iPad mini for open boxed iPad 4 with LTE for $235. They checked the serial number on the iPad and the box. If serial numbers aren't matching, they won't take it. At least that what I was being told

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I am pretty sure if you want to trade in your iPad on BestBuy, they will check if iPad's serial number math the serial number on the box. I just traded in my first gen. iPad mini for open boxed iPad 4 with LTE for $235. They checked the serial number on the iPad and the box. If serial numbers aren't matching, they won't take it. At least that what I was being told

Do you have to have the box?

John Megadeth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014

Ah, that's good to know. Like I said, i may build a fort out of these or donate them to a Microsoft store.

Kangda

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
Do you have to have the box?

You do not have to have the box at all to trade in your iPad at Best Buy. I traded in two iPad 2s at Best Buy, one with the box and one without. Got the exact same trade-in value for each, and I traded them in separately within 2 months of each other.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Most people keep their box. The one that do not are not going to care enough to buy one for a sale.

I just do not see how a pile of empty boxes could have a lot of value. What will the company do when the devices reach their end of life?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Take to an Apple store. Maybe they'll pass up the chain and get recycled somewhere.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Bury them in your backyard in a watertight casket and leave a note for your great great great grandson to get rich!! :D

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Hmmm, if I had a real bratty niece or nephew, I could see wrapping up a lame birthday gift in one of these boxes.

Pair of socks: $12
The look on their face: Priceless!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.