Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
The title says it all. Getting a 5c or 5s and want to use the device and do anything with it, apart from selling it. I always need a backup phone, but apart from that, is there anything else we coulddo with iPhone's gathering dust?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The title says it all. Getting a 5c or 5s and want to use the device and do anything with it, apart from selling it. I always need a backup phone, but apart from that, is there anything else we coulddo with iPhone's gathering dust?

Put them in their original boxes with all their accessories, and put them away someplace safe. Then just get them out on special occasions for a charge and polish.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
Use them then. Use them as an iPod touch, ATV remote, inter come throughout your house, or just rotate them.

Btw just noticed your username. There is only one Apple fanboy!:D

I want to use it as an iPod Touch but I think that it's going to overlap apps with my new iPhone

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Remove the SIM, turn on airplane mode (with wifi on if you want internet) and use as an iPod touch. I say turn on airplane mode since 911 still works without a SIM. Just in case you have kids and let them play with it.

Otherwise sell or give to a family member or something. I'm thinking of selling my iPhone 5 when my contract is up in January. I donated my flip phone to some veterans thing and gave my bricked BlackBerry Storm2 back to Verizon.

Armand2REP

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
The upside of buying an iPhone is its high resale value. I see little value repurposing something when your current phone does it better.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Sell them for a disproportionately high price to fund the next phone?

Did I miss the memo about Obvious Night on MR?

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
You can also use your iPhones as a camera monitor. Check over on CNet.com they have an how to on how to use your old iPhones as a camera monitor. So if someone breaks into your home you will see them :)

or use it as a backup camera or iPod. I kept my iPod Touch. I have mostly games and music for when I travel or do stuff. This way I won't use my iPhone battery down as much.

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2014
I'm leaning to the kids side of things... The amount of times my little sister takes my phone when I'm using it!

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I donate mine to women shelters. They always get good use out of them. Just as I do with most of my computers. Even if they only get a year or so out of them, it is better than nothing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I sell, or trade in my phones. The older phones help offset the cost of the newer phone.

At some point in the next few years, I'll forgo the trade-in/selling and give my older phone (and my wife's) to our daughters but they're not of age yet so I'll keep trading them in.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
My 3GS was given to a friend and my 4s is on a bike mount and used with a cycling app called "Motion X GPS". The Battery only last 90 minutes when using GPS continously so I have a battery pack to extend life.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
I bought the Miveu case / fisheye lens / chest mount to turn my old iPhone 4 into an action camera.

I used it when mountain biking in Colorado and it worked great. The case / fisheye lens (without the mount) has also worked when I wanted a wider angle camera for still shots.

They were selling just the case / fisheye lens (not the chest mount) for the iPhone 4/4s for $5 when the iPhone 5 came out. We picked up an extra one at that time. I did a quick search just now and it looks like they only sell them as a complete set. The company is now called Camrig so it may have been sold to someone else.

http://camrig.com/iphone-mounts/iphone-4-mount-1/miveu-x4-4s-iphone-mount

Armand2REP

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2013
You can also use your iPhones as a camera monitor. Check over on CNet.com they have an how to on how to use your old iPhones as a camera monitor. So if someone breaks into your home you will see them :)

or use it as a backup camera or iPod. I kept my iPod Touch. I have mostly games and music for when I travel or do stuff. This way I won't use my iPhone battery down as much.

Repurposing idevices is a lost cause. The battery will go crap and it isn't worth a replacement.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Considering I have an old iPod classic and an iPod touch 4th gen. that gets a good charge, I would keep it. Most people forget to turn off the devices when not in use. My current iPhone I will turn off 4-5 times a week. Who am I gonna call when I'm asleep? lol

When you decide to use your iOS devices as a backup, you should refresh them. Meaning that you should erase and restore. If you don't want to restore them, than just erase some of the apps that you aren't using. Turn off stuff that you don't need. :apple:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I keep my old 3G around as backup, has saved me a few times. I'm also pretty emotionally attached to it, as it was my first smartphone....so I like to just take it out of the box and speak softly to it sometimes... :D

=E=

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
.se
I use my old iPhone 4 to listen to music with, I have one of those small stereos where you can put the iPhone/iPod in. Works fantastic. Its the 32gb version so it can store many songs.

briannaharbor

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
I think it would be wiser to put it back in the box, and save it for an occasion when you might actually need to use it again. You never know if you are going to drop the new one in a way that would completely break it, and wouldn't it be nice to open up the old one, ready to go?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.