Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miknos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Guys,

I gave an iPhone 4 locked to Softbank Japan. If I buy a sim card from the same company, can I activate my iPhone? I know I won't be able to use another carrier (not place calls) but will push notifications work?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I was able to get a Softbank SIM card off of eBay for one of their iPhones. It was a painful process, but eventually I gave up ever trying to unlock it.

I was able to turn it into a glorified iPod (yet forget the exact method).

I think it requires Softbank to activate the iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
One thing to note here. Softbank is the equivalent in Japan for unlocking as Sprint is in the US. Even worse now as Softbank owns Sprint.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yep, anyone selling a SoftBank phone to anyone outside of Japan should be required to warn them they are buying a device they can never realistically use !

As always - BUYER BEWARE !

miknos

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks to a friend (who deleted the setup file to bypass the activation screen) I was able to update to the latest iOS version (7.1). I can use another Android phone to tether my 3G connection and it works fine. I'm just having problem with some apps by not having PUSH notifications. I was wondering if using an inactive SIM card from Softbank I would be able to receive PUSH notifications (even when not able to make calls).

I use it most as a GPS for my car and for messaging. PUSH notifications would make it much more useful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.