Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I just installed Mavericks and want to create two users, one for Work and the other purely for music production. Is there a way for them to share for example the email account? As I imagine if I set this up on both of them then I'll have to download emails twice on each? And email address autofills etc

Cheers

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You can set them both up to sync to the same email account (assuming IMAP) but yes, you'd be doing double downloads. If that's a problem (e.g. slow internet or concern about disk usage) just leave the email on one and use Fast User Switching.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
exactly what FreakinEurekan said. why complicate things? just get organized...
keep your work, for example, in Documents, and your music in Music.

much simpler, and far more efficient...

EDIT: or, as suggested...use fast user switching, and do most of your work in your Work account (i.e. email, web browsing, etc etc etc), and...JUST use Music for music. make sure BOTH accounts are Administrator accounts...and if you're installing Logic (for example)...install it from the MUSIC account....

Last edited:

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Thanks guys, I've decided to do all email on the Work account and leave music purely for music. One thing I can foresee being irritating though, is having to enter my password to change/delete/rename/add to a folder that the other user created on my second hard drive. Is there a way around this? I've made the second hard drive a shared folder but it still seems to do it.

I guess in a way I want these to be two users but identical in terms of being able to modify things. I literally can't find a thing on Google about anyone trying to do this!

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Phew, fixed it by setting it to ignore ownership on the second hard drive. Was thinking i'd made a dreadful mistake there. Each user can do what they want on the second HDD now (which is where music, downloads, logic files reside)

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
I recommend the **** out of this to someone looking to do something similar. A bit fiddly to get going but having a totally different experience between each is really dope

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.