Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimplyMac2012

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Hitchin , Hertfordshire , UK
I need a little help on this topic.

I own a Mac Pro 3,1 with Raid Controller (HW) which has 2.61Tb of Media which i need to backup along with the Boot Drive which is 128Gb SSD.

The SSD has no problem backing up automatic with my Apple Time Machine(TM) but would i be able to back up the media on the Raid 5 to my new Apple Airport Time Capsule 3Tb or is there another piece of software the can back similar to the Time Machine where it would only back up the changes i.e additional media i add to the Time Capsule 3Tb

Your Help is appreciated

Adam

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
I am confused, are you backing your boot drive up via time machine to a different device then you want to back your media up to? You can configure time machine to backup to two different locations, so perhaps you just need to add both to time machine and then exclude what you don't want backed up with the media on your raid?

chrisn123

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2011
Time Machine will happily backup external / non-boot drives if you remove the Volume name from the list of stuff to skip (in Time Machine preferences). After initial backup, it will only backup changes (that's kinda the point).

Depending on speed of connection to Time Capsule (wired GigE is best), and the size and frequency of change of your media, you may or may not find this solution acceptable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.