Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:50 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Skype Makes Group Video Calling Free for Mac, PC, and Xbox One Users

Skype today announced that it is making its group video calling feature free for select users. The feature was introduced in 2010 and was made available to Premium users on a Windows desktop, Mac and the Xbox One. Now, group video calling will be accessible for free to anyone on those platforms, with support for additional devices coming at a later date.
Quote:
Skype is proud that, since our beginning, we've created opportunities for people to communicate freely and easily, no matter where they are; from keeping in touch with remote family members or calling home when traveling to chatting daily with your close circles of friends. While Skype is known for one to one video calling, we know it's also essential to connect with the groups of people who matter most, whether friends, family or colleagues. For the last few years, we've offered group video calling to Premium users on Windows desktop and Mac and more recently Xbox One. Today, we're excited to announce that we're making group video calling free - for all users on these platforms. And, in the future, we'll be enabling group video calling for all our users across more platforms - at no cost.
Group video calling debuted on the Mac platform with Skype 5 in early 2011. Much like Google Hangouts, Skype video calling allows customers to hold a video conference with a group of other Skype users who can talk using the webcams on their devices. The feature was available for free in the beta version of Skype 5 and required a Premium subscription when it officially debuted in the shipping version.

You can download Skype for Mac from Skype's website. It is available for free and requires Mac OS X Snow Leopard and above, a webcam for video calling and a microphone.

Article Link: Skype Makes Group Video Calling Free for Mac, PC, and Xbox One Users
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:53 AM   #2
keterboy
macrumors regular

Totally happy with facetime. I switched to facetime after microsoft bought skype.
keterboy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:56 AM   #3
Vinamra
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Quote:
Originally Posted by keterboy View Post
Totally happy with facetime. I switched to facetime after microsoft bought skype.
The problem is, FaceTime still doesn't allow group video calling. Moreover, unlike Skype, FaceTime is not available across various platforms.

However, I was never satisfied with the call quality on Skype. Google Hangouts FTW!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:56 AM   #4
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 65816

I will stick to Facetime. Nice. Simple. No need to download 3rd party software
Old Apr 28, 2014, 08:57 AM   #5
polaris20
macrumors 68020

Too little, too late. FaceTime works great for one-offs from my phone, and Hangouts works extremely well from an iPad, iPhone, Mac, Windows.....whatever. My group routinely runs Hangouts all day long when we work from home due to office closures. It's amazing.

The last time I had to use Skype (few months ago) it was far more choppy and lower quality than either of Apple's or Google's solutions.
polaris20 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Arne-IC
macrumors newbie

What I would really like ...

is that FaceTime becomes available multiplatform and with group video calling.
Arne-IC is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:21 AM   #7
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
So you only video chat with one person at a time, and only if they have an Apple device?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:24 AM   #8
TantalizedMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I was happy with FaceTime until it stopped working on my iPhone 4. Now I have to Skype.
TantalizedMind is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Jeaz
macrumors regular

The problem for me, with Google Hangout, is that it can't handle the most trivial thing properly - voice calls.

Sure, video is nice, but not what you are looking for always, and at this, Skype really leaves Hangouts in the dark.
Jeaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:55 AM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
About time - Google Hangouts has had this for months if not years.
ArtOfWarfare is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:55 AM   #11
stiligFox
macrumors 6502a

I would be happy if they could just fix the iPhone app.

I had gotten used to not getting notifications for group chats, but with the last update I don't notifications at all until about 30 minutes after the message was sent to me. And to other users I keep going offline and online. Pretty lame :/
stiligFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:06 AM   #12
linuxcooldude
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
About time - Google Hangouts has had this for months if not years.
Its because prior to being bought by Microsoft it had a different business model. Microsoft & Google ( Google+ Hangouts ) VOIP/Video was not their primary money maker. Prior to that its owners had to figure a way out how to make money off of Skype and Group video chat was one of them.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:07 AM   #13
man3ster
macrumors newbie

Nice

I don't know about you guys, but I got friends on multiple platforms. Having free group calling is wonderful.
man3ster is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:19 AM   #14
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Not that it's exactly on topic... but I wish Facetime and iMessage was available cross platform. I'd love to be able to iMessage my Android toting friends... or have iMessage on my work Windows computer so I don't have to constantly have to pull my phone out to message people back while I'm at work.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:25 AM   #15
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Glad you don't need group chat. Or have any friends that don't own an Apple device.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:29 AM   #16
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaz View Post
The problem for me, with Google Hangout, is that it can't handle the most trivial thing properly - voice calls.

Sure, video is nice, but not what you are looking for always, and at this, Skype really leaves Hangouts in the dark.
They are working on integrating Google Voice in to hangouts this should make it a nice all around app.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiligFox View Post
I would be happy if they could just fix the iPhone app.

I had gotten used to not getting notifications for group chats, but with the last update I don't notifications at all until about 30 minutes after the message was sent to me. And to other users I keep going offline and online. Pretty lame :/
Yeah, notifications have been very spotty for
me for a while. Also I've has this annoying bug forever where if I go to text chat while doing video, the video will become inverted. Super annoying.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:47 AM   #18
arbitter
macrumors member

I use hangouts, never had any issues so far, pretty smooth video calling even in China where streaming from Spotify didn't work.

Also handy is possibility to video call on the computer without a program, only using the browser. And cross platform of course.

I like the facetime interface as well, but not owning any iOS devices and many of my friends have android devices, the limitation is really too great.
arbitter is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:11 AM   #19
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

This is good news. This makes up for the lost iChat group video that FaceTime replaced. Looks like Apple will never add that feature back.
BornAgainMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:15 AM   #20
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
So you only video chat with one person at a time, and only if they have an Apple device?
Actually, my answer is yes. I am probably in the minority, but with less than 5% of my contacts using something other than idevices, this is not an issue for me. And because I use this for personal use, I never speak to multiple people at the same time. I could totally see group chat as being useful and it really would be awesome if it worked across other devices. It just so happen that neither is an issue for me and I therefore use Apples solution exclusively. Also, as others have commented, the apple solution really works better, so unless I need one of those other features, there is no reason to use anything else.

Last edited by Cuban Missles; Apr 28, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Cuban Missles is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:15 AM   #21
richwoodrocket
macrumors 65816

This is awesome! Dont know how they make money off this though.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:18 PM   #22
Buduls
macrumors newbie

Still horrible and unusable UI compared to Skype 2.8.. Iíll refuse to update until it is still working
Buduls is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:31 PM   #23
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwoodrocket View Post
This is awesome! Dont know how they make money off this though.
It probably helps sell Windows Phones, and Xboxs, or at least that's the hope. If I'm between the Xbox One and PS4, this might push me to the One. (Although I have no idea why anyone would ever buy the One. Personally, I'm a Nintendo person and wouldn't ever buy a console that lacked Nintendo titles, but going by the available specs, games, and prices, there's no competition: PS4 beats Xbox One in every way imaginable).
ArtOfWarfare is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 01:08 PM   #24
A cool guy
macrumors newbie

You get premium free if you have an Xbox One.
A cool guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 01:12 PM   #25
richwoodrocket
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
It probably helps sell Windows Phones, and Xboxs, or at least that's the hope. If I'm between the Xbox One and PS4, this might push me to the One. (Although I have no idea why anyone would ever buy the One. Personally, I'm a Nintendo person and wouldn't ever buy a console that lacked Nintendo titles, but going by the available specs, games, and prices, there's no competition: PS4 beats Xbox One in every way imaginable).

I'm a Nintendo person too. Microsoft or don't won't be getting my money anytime soon.
I know there are ads in skype, but I would imagine that hardly pays for the cost to run it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion