Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_air_mavericks_roundup_header-250x149.jpg
As was initially reported last week, Apple's updated MacBook Air may launch this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

Shipments of new 11 and 13-inch MacBook Airs are currently arriving in Apple Stores across the country, according to 9to5Mac, with plans to put the computers on display beginning tomorrow morning.

The MacBook Air refresh is expected to be minor and could arrive with little fanfare. Updated MacBook Air computers may include a slightly improved Haswell processor with a small speed boost and few other changes.
Tomorrow's 11-inch and 13-inch Airs are codenamed J41A and J43A, respectively, and their SKUs are simply a variation to the current MacBook Air SKU labels. For example, the entry 13-inch MacBook Air of today is known as "MD760LL/A", while this week's refreshed version is known as "MD760LL/B." It's unclear if Apple will even promote the updated Airs.
Though Apple is planning just a minor MacBook Air refresh for this week, the company is also said to have a second 12-inch MacBook Air in the works that will be released later in the year.

The 12-inch MacBook Air is expected to feature some major design changes in the form of a slimmer chassis without fans, a Retina display, and a buttonless trackpad.

It is unclear when tomorrow's updated MacBook Airs might make their first appearance, but it is possible Apple will take its online store down tonight in order to update inventory ahead of an in-store release tomorrow.

Article Link: Apple Expected to Release Updated MacBook Airs Tomorrow

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What is a buttonless trackpad? It doesn't have any tactile movement at all? That would be highly annoying. I've tried the trackpad clicking, but I keep reverting to the physical button because it just feels better to get that feedback. However, I do wish it had less travel. Sometimes it feels like I need to press harder than what feels natural.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Why would they refresh them now, and release new versions at WWDC?

And why would I buy a new MBA if I know there are more coming in June?

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
I hope they just can the 11" and 13" models and replace it with the 12" retina when that comes out. Then you have the 12" Air, 13" and 15" rMBP, nice and streamlined, gets rid of fragmentation, brings manufacturing and inventory costs down a bit.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
8gb of ram on stock model?

I really hope one of these minor updates is an increase in ram to 8gb on the higher end models. It isn't even a cost thing. It is just so annoying to have to order a BTO model or the extremely expensive ultimate model just to get 8gb or ram.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Retina display would have been great in the 13". But chances are next to none. Looks like we're going to have to wait until next year. For now, expect just 2-5% CPU performance improvement.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
I really hope one of these minor updates is an increase in ram to 8gb on the higher end models. It isn't even a cost thing. It is just so annoying to have to order a BTO model or the extremely expensive ultimate model just to get 8gb or ram.

Not at chance, because the 13" MBP base line has 4 GB RAM, but still you will have a baseline with 8Gb i think and not need to BTO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.