Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:05 PM   #1
jclo
Editor

Possible iPhone 6 Volume Button Shown in New Image

Last week we received a tip from Weibo, China's Twitter-like social network, with a small image of a volume button that might possibly belong to the iPhone 6. We couldn't verify the image, but we thought people might want to see and discuss it.

The image is tiny and difficult to view, but the volume button part appears to have separate rectangular buttons for the up and down controls, rather than the circular buttons of the iPhone 5s. Rectangular buttons have been seen in previous schematics and leaks, so this might very well be a legitimate part.
jclo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:23 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

Looks like it could be slightly easier to turn the volume up/down with the larger buttons.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:32 PM   #3
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
Looks like it could be slightly easier to turn the volume up/down with the larger buttons.
Yes, definitely. It has the potential to be a lot easier to use one-handed on a larger device. Also the thought behind the sleep/wake button possibly moving to the right side as well.
jclo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:52 PM   #4
VSMacOne
macrumors 68030

The picture shows 4 buttons on the same side. And the two volume buttons are different shapes? Hm....
Old Apr 28, 2014, 04:56 PM   #5
marvz
macrumors 6502a

If this is legitimate, then it seems like they are going back to slate? Seems to dark for space grey.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:02 PM   #6
DonnyXMX
macrumors member

It works really good on the iPads and the iPad Air so why not go with the longer buttons
DonnyXMX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:05 PM   #7
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

Tiny and difficult to see you say? It's legit.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:07 PM   #8
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised by the "+" and "-" carved in them, it seems that was ditched on the similarly-shaped iPad volume buttons.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:36 PM   #9
adamdr3420
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranDotW View Post
I'm surprised by the "+" and "-" carved in them, it seems that was ditched on the similarly-shaped iPad volume buttons.
Also resembles the iPhone 5c buttons if the "+" and "-" were removed
adamdr3420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:36 PM   #10
CarlJ
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSMacOne View Post
The picture shows 4 buttons on the same side.
If they've got the room to play with, I would dearly love to see them add a play/pause button like the current iPod nano has; there are times when I have the phone in my hand, listening to music or a podcast, when I'd really like to be able to pause it for a moment without having to look at the screen.
CarlJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:44 PM   #11
sunking101
macrumors 68020

Looks like another loose and rattly metal button cover :-(
sunking101 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:28 PM   #12
acslater017
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I doubt these are real, just because they are asymmetrical and shoddily shaped. But you're right, Apple would do everything to keep one-handed use possible:

1) easy-to-use volume buttons/silent switch. Sleep/wake button moved to side.

2) encourage use of swipe to navigate back rather than stretching all the way to the top left "back arrow" (this is present across ios 7)

3) reduce bezels as much as possible, to bring a greater portion of the screen into reach.

4) might be a stretch, but possibly redesign home button/Touch ID to take up less space. It's iconic and comfy for the thumb tip, but takes up an inch on the bottom every iOS device - and for reasons of symmetry, the top as well. If they want to advance their designs, I think they'll have to trim the large top and bottom edges of their future devices.
acslater017 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:28 PM   #13
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclo View Post
Yes, definitely. It has the potential to be a lot easier to use one-handed on a larger device. Also the thought behind the sleep/wake button possibly moving to the right side as well.
i was under the impression that the few leaks/rumors showed the sleep/wake button moving to the top left.

http://youtu.be/eywi0h_Y5_U
luckydcxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:49 AM   #14
Lunfai
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSMacOne View Post
The picture shows 4 buttons on the same side. And the two volume buttons are different shapes? Hm....
If you zoom in the last arrow is -> <- thickness. The three labels on the left indicate Volume Slider/ Volume Up / Volume Down. The Up/Down label and buttons are same size. The picture is really blurry though..
Old Apr 29, 2014, 09:08 AM   #15
VSMacOne
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunfai View Post
If you zoom in the last arrow is -> <- thickness. The three labels on the left indicate Volume Slider/ Volume Up / Volume Down. The Up/Down label and buttons are same size. The picture is really blurry though..
They're not really the same size. Look at the top of the "+" button. It's flat, unlike the other side that are curved.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone