Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Txema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
Hello, I'm looking for a definitive Storage and Backup solution for my mac Pro.
So far I've been looking on to Drobo 5D or N, LaCie 5big Thunderbolt™ 2, or LaCie 2big Thunderbolt™ 2.

Networking would be a plus but not a must. I'm open for other suggestions and also wonder if these systems can be considered backup since they are ready for single or double disks failures.

Thanks.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
It's impossbile to define a backup scheme for someone just based on the computer they own. If you're just asking for TM drives, that's one thing. But if you need enterprise level redundancy, that's another. We also don't know what you're backing up, or if you need to do it off site. Archiving photos might be very different than a database on a server, for instance.

Perhaps you'd get better suggestions if you gave us more details about the work you need to backup, how many users, etc etc

Txema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2014
It's impossbile to define a backup scheme for someone just based on the computer they own. If you're just asking for TM drives, that's one thing. But if you need enterprise level redundancy, that's another. We also don't know what you're backing up, or if you need to do it off site. Archiving photos might be very different than a database on a server, for instance.

Perhaps you'd get better suggestions if you gave us more details about the work you need to backup, how many users, etc etc

You are right.
I'm a working photographer adding +- 250gb of photos to my collection per year. I have 2 LaCie, 2 tb each that i will use for Backup, and I want a thunderbolt device with big capacity for creating a library of all my photos and work with them. That is why i was asking for the Drobo and Lacie or other big capacity, expandable, fast allowing the use of both SSD and optical thunderbolt devices you could suggest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.