Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Randall

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Norwood, MA
Some of us work in the defense department or in private companies that have a "no camera" policy.

I have created an online petiton stating the reasons why we feel the iSight should be optional in the new computer models. If you agree with this then please sign the petition and help spread the word by emailing it to your friends. http://www.petitiononline.com/iSight/petition.html

L

Lau

iJaz said:
Can't you put some duct tape over the iSight lens?

I imagine if you work somewhere with security issues they're unlikely to trust you not to take the tape off! Otherwise they could let you take in a camera if you promised not to use it. Honest, guv. :D

As for the petition, I would urge to you (and anyone else with this issue) to also suggest it to Apple via their feedback, or write them a letter. Online petitions aren't known for getting things changed, whereas a letter might carry more weight, especially if a good number of people send one to them.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Randall said:
Some of us work in the defense department or in private companies that have a "no camera" policy.

I have created an online petiton stating the reasons why we feel the iSight should be optional in the new computer models. If you agree with this then please sign the petition and help spread the word by emailing it to your friends. http://www.petitiononline.com/iSight/petition.html

Good point.

Apple will need to do what some cell phone companies have done with the likes of the Treo 650, offer a version without iSight.

Sorry, but I doubt the petition will do anything. A few lost contracts from business clients will set Apple straight though.

iDM

macrumors 6502a
From what I understand you are not allowed to bring camera phones into strip clubs either, so having these iSights built in means that I can't bring my lappy to Bare Elegance anymore.

On a serious note though I never really thought about that I guess they should make these optional, it will be interesting to see what they do about the cases though since their entire order probably involves the cases coming with those little holes.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
iDM said:
From what I understand you are not allowed to bring camera phones into strip clubs either, so having these iSights built in means that I can't bring my lappy to Bare Elegance anymore.

On a serious note though I never really thought about that I guess they should make these optional, it will be interesting to see what they do about the cases though since their entire order probably involves the cases coming with those little holes.

If you're brining your laptop to a strip club, your problem is not the iSight.

I imagine the problem is bigger not for people who work in secure environments--the company can always make sure the employee is complying with the rule by disabling the feature or making sure duct tape is over the lens--but with visitors. If I'm a contractor and take my laptop into the DoDefense, what do I do when they say "no cameras" or something?

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Randall said:

Personally, I've never come across an establishment that has a no camera policy but does allow laptops and removable media such as USB devices. Most of the places I've visited with policies like this (even certain telecommunications companies, I might add) require you to surrender your 'phone, laptop and removable media at the reception desk.

Having said that, I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult for Apple to offer an option without a camera. They wouldn't even need to retool the case, just fit a small piece of plastic in place of the IR board - kinda like they do on the current Mac minis (in place of the modem socket).

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
mdavey said:
Personally, I've never come across an establishment that has a no camera policy but does allow laptops and removable media such as USB devices.
Huh? So they allow everything? I'm confused. :confused:

And I have worked at places that wouldn't allow ANY image captureing device no mater how tiny or how bad. Your right it should be an option. Apple could just use the older monitor casings.

Beck446

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Yeah personally, I think that once we see the entire line of new pro laptops, there will be an option for no isight. It's unlikely that Apple will knock anything off the price though...

I think that market forces are going to make Apple change a couple things when the roll out the whole lineup - the least of which is going back to the Powerbook name. JMHO

If I could remove the iSight and the infrared port and drop the price $100 I would do it in a second. Those are USELESS to tons of users.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
ChrisBrightwell said:
I'm sitting in one right now.

gym lockerrooms are often that way--no cameras, but laptops etc. are allowed.

and probably a lot of factories, where the company is worried only about pictures of teh line, but not about attempts to download data.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mdavey said:
Personally, I've never come across an establishment that has a no camera policy but does allow laptops and removable media such as USB devices. Most of the places I've visited with policies like this (even certain telecommunications companies, I might add) require you to surrender your 'phone, laptop and removable media at the reception desk.

I've seen it...at least, it's common in the automotive industry. I'm not saying it makes sense. But I've seen it.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I"m surprised a company with a no camera policy would even allow you to take your laptop into the office. I doubt Apple will make the iSight an optional extra. That would mean they would have to have two different cases. Perhaps the "non-pro" line of MacBooks won't have the inbuilt iSight when they appear.

Personally I think a fixed positioned web cam on a laptop is a little superfluous. Probably the next revision may see a swivel one. Good thing I'm waiting for a Rev C model.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Surely if its a laptop oyu want just buy the last PPC powerbook?? you should get decent discounts and theres still all of the software available? I see no reason why not.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
mdavey said:
Personally, I've never come across an establishment that has a no camera policy but does allow laptops and removable media such as USB devices.

I know of some places that don't allow you to take anything electronic, but lets you ftp any file you have access to. Not every government regulation makes sense.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
cameras

my company does not alow cameras at all... but then again... they dont buy Apple computers ether. :( only for spechal reasons and... those are xServers. Chances of a iMac on campus is slim.... with or without an isight

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Dr. Dastardly said:
Huh? So they allow everything? I'm confused. :confused:

And I have worked at places that wouldn't allow ANY image captureing device no mater how tiny or how bad. Your right it should be an option. Apple could just use the older monitor casings.

Actually I would think a simple Apple logo cap over where the iSight is supposed to be would be OK for this situation.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
No boss in his right mind would simply color over the isight with a sharpie and then hand it back to you. You could bring another MacBook in the next day with an uncolored iSight and start snapping pics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.