Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:09 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sprint Bundles Spotify Premium Into New 'Framily' Plans

Sprint today announced that it will start bundling Spotify Premium with its new Framily plans, offering a discount on the service for customers with multiple lines. The music streaming service is part of the company's new Sprint Sound Sessions program and will be available starting May 9th.

Under the new program, all new and existing postpaid customers on a Framily plan are eligible for a free, six-month trial of Spotify Premium that is followed by an 18-month discount on the premium service when the free trial is over. Framily customers will pay $7.99 per month for the paid service or $4.99 monthly if the Framily plan has more than six members. After 24 months, customers will pay the standard price for Spotify Premium, which is currently $9.99 per month.

Subscribers outside the Framily plan will receive a 3-month free trial and incur charges of $9.99 monthly when the free trial ends. All charges for the service will be added to a customer's monthly bill.
Quote:
"With Spotify, people literally have all of the world's music in their pockets," said Daniel Ek, Spotify founder and CEO. "Spotify and Sprint share a passion for music and technology that makes this partnership a natural fit for both companies -- and the best music deal ever for Sprint customers."
Spotify's Premium tier allows users to listen to Spotify's entire 20 million song library with support for unlimited on-demand listening and custom playlists. The service recently extended its free tier to iPhone users, allowing them to listen to pre-compiled playlists and shuffled music based on a specific artist or song.

This new Sprint partnership is not the first carrier tie-up for the Swedish-based music service. Spotify also bundles its Premium service with cellular plans from Vodafone throughout Europe. As a result, Spotify's growth has been accelerating, and the streaming service may soon eclipse Apple's iTunes downloads as Europe's biggest digital music service in terms of revenue.

Article Link: Sprint Bundles Spotify Premium Into New 'Framily' Plans
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:13 AM   #2
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

I like all the aggressiveness in the mobile space, but I do have to say that of all the commercials that are out there, I hate the framily ones more than any.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:17 AM   #3
mad3inch1na
macrumors 6502

Sprint users now have even more ways to do nothing on their phones.
mad3inch1na is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:19 AM   #4
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Seems a good deal. I get Spotify Premium bundled with my Vodafone contract. Makes listening to music on the go (if you have the signal) so much easier.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:22 AM   #5
talmy
macrumors 68040

How about data caps? Or is this outside the cap? Seems like a good way to run up your bill.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:25 AM   #6
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Framily???? I never noticed this is the actual name they use for the plan. I'd feel like an idiot asking for that plan out loud
ValSalva is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:43 AM   #7
RicoRich196
macrumors member

Yes instead of making the service better they bundle in services that don't make the network any more appealing.

After 10 years with Sprint I switched to Tmobile in March and haven't looked back, call quality and data service has been phenomenal in New York. Not a single dropped call and I can download a 25 MB ESPN podcast in 30 seconds vs. the 15 minutes it would take after timing out twice on Sprint.

Good riddance.
RicoRich196 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:45 AM   #8
cmdrmac
macrumors regular

Is the Spotify rate per line or is that a flat rate per account?

Example:
  • up to and including 5 lines is an additional $7.99 per month total or is it $7.99 per line additional?
  • 6+ lines is an additional $4.99 per month total or is it $4.99 per line additional?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:47 AM   #9
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Framily???? I never noticed this is the actual name they use for the plan. I'd feel like an idiot asking for that plan out loud
You can say it out loud in a Sprint store, not many people will hear it.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:53 AM   #10
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFairy View Post
You can say it out loud in a Sprint store, not many people will hear it.
Sad but probably true...
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:57 AM   #11
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Sad but probably true...
It's too bad, Sprint has some really good pricing plans. The problem is their service sucks outside of populated areas, and data is slow. I think Sprint is going to stay one step behind unless they put some money into their infrastructure.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:00 PM   #12
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Too bad Sprint is absolutely awful around my area. I suppose it's not a bad deal if you get decent coverage in the area where you live. Now if only Spotify would do this with AT&T customers.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:23 PM   #13
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
How about data caps? Or is this outside the cap? Seems like a good way to run up your bill.
Audio streaming doesn't do much. I stream Spotify over cellular for about 60 hours a month and it doesn't even eat 1 GB during the month. I used to use iHeartRadio and found the data consumption was similar.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:34 PM   #14
BasicGreatGuy
macrumors 65816

I am with Sprint and I get good coverage most of the time.

While the Spotify perk may be pleasing to some, I prefer to go the free route with iTunes Radio and my own music library.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:47 PM   #15
BrentD
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Audio streaming doesn't do much. I stream Spotify over cellular for about 60 hours a month and it doesn't even eat 1 GB during the month. I used to use iHeartRadio and found the data consumption was similar.
Thanks for that. Was always curious. What kind of quality is that? Like good enough for a phone quality, or good enough to stream/plug into your car and it sound good through your car system?
BrentD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 01:05 PM   #16
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I don't care what they call it, it saves me about $50 a month...
spazzcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 01:06 PM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
Thanks for that. Was always curious. What kind of quality is that? Like good enough for a phone quality, or good enough to stream/plug into your car and it sound good through your car system?
I find it good enough for my car stereo. I am not an audiophile - I know my brother always asks me how I can tolerate the low quality of Spotify free. I can kind of hear the difference, but it definitely isn't something I'd bother paying for.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 02:53 PM   #18
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFairy View Post
It's too bad, Sprint has some really good pricing plans. The problem is their service sucks outside of populated areas, and data is slow. I think Sprint is going to stay one step behind unless they put some money into their infrastructure.
Do you have any idea how many steps forward they're going to have to take in order to be one step behind?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 02:54 PM   #19
TheAppleFairy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
Do you have any idea how many steps forward they're going to have to take in order to be one step behind?

LOL I know, maybe just a few very large steps would be a good start.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 03:06 PM   #20
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I have no local music on any device. It's all cloud running for several hours a day, and the day usage is minimal. One YouTube video is more consuming than 10 songs.

I use it all. Beats, Spotify, Google play music, Pandora.

And this is a great deal. For those in a tri-band LTE market it's worth a look.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 03:28 PM   #21
WinstonRumfoord
macrumors newbie

Made-up portmanteaus can't go away soon enough.

WinstonRumfoord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 03:39 PM   #22
1080p
macrumors 65816

Or I can just continue paying $4.99 for Spotify Premium for Students and not be associated with the god awful carrier known as Sprint.
1080p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 04:06 PM   #23
johnhw
macrumors 6502

It seems bundling Spotify Premium is the trend these days. Here in the Philippines, a carrier partnered with Spotify and bundled Spotify with our tiered data plans. At around 18 bucks a month we get to have 3GB(data)+1GB(Spotify) and Spotify Premium to boot (though Spotify Premium on its own here is already dirt freaking cheap. It's less than 3 DOLLARS. ). It's nice to live in a small Asian country with these deals
johnhw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 04:06 PM   #24
macduke
macrumors 68030

Quote:
This is exactly what we don't want: Data access companies (carriers) giving free access to favored platforms. This goes against the principle of net neutrality, and could potentially harm smaller start up companies which don't have the resources to negotiate with the carriers. For instance, if these provisions had been in place in the 90s, we'd likely still be using terrible AOL or maybe even Microsoft services because they would have the market cornered. Smaller companies like Yahoo and Google would be cornered out of the market because they are a startup that didn't have the resources to spend to buy bandwidth. Hell, forget about Spotify. iTunes probably wouldn't have taken off either. Relative to the available bandwidth in the early 2000s, iTunes used quite a large share. The iPod was just getting going. This would have stifled all kinds of innovation. DRM would be even more horrifying and prevalent. I can't even imagine how scary the internet would be today if that had happened.
macduke is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 04:28 PM   #25
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Or I can just continue paying $4.99 for Spotify Premium for Students and not be associated with the god awful carrier known as Sprint.
i didnt even know spotify premium for students was a thing

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion