Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
USAToday.com said:
Han, Luke and Leia are back, and they're bringing company.

Original Star Wars stars Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher officially returned to George Lucas' galaxy far, far away with an official announcement from Lucasfilm and Disney on Tuesday.

The three actors, plus returning actors Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker, are part of the large cast of the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII movie, which will also feature John Boyega (Attack the Block), relative newcomer Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver (Girls), Oscar Isaac (Inside Llewyn Davis), Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson (About Time) and Max von Sydow. They begin filming in London next month.

Can't wait to see this movie.:D

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-episode-vii-movie-cast-announcement/8462477/

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Anybody notice the lack of Billy Dee Williams? James Earl Jones is a given, but what about Lando?

BL.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm nervously excited. I'm not happy with how Abrams handled Star Trek, so I'm a little concerned about how he'll treat the star wars universe.

Either way I'll be going to see this when it comes out in 2015.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm nervously excited. I'm not happy with how Abrams handled Star Trek, so I'm a little concerned about how he'll treat the star wars universe.

Either way I'll be going to see this when it comes out in 2015.

No kidding? I though JJ did a great job with Star Trek overall. What didn't you like?

I am excited to see Star Wars again and hope they do it justice.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No kidding? I though JJ did a great job with Star Trek overall. What didn't you like?
The reboot of the universe, where vulcan was destroyed by a time traveling Romulan. I think he could have been true to the older series without such antics.

The second movie was ok, except it was a complete and utter ripoff of the wrath of khan. If you're going to reboot the entire series, why copy a storyline.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The reboot of the universe, where vulcan was destroyed by a time traveling Romulan. I think he could have been true to the older series without such antics.

The second movie was ok, except it was a complete and utter ripoff of the wrath of khan. If you're going to reboot the entire series, why copy a storyline.

Yeah, I'll give ya that.

I think, he wanted to bring along past aspects of TOS to pacify the older fan base and keep it relevant. But that's just my guess.

I still enjoyed them though.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Didn't James Earl Jones character die in episode VI? If he appears as a ghost neither of the two actors were James Earl Jones!

So how is it a given?

That's my point. There is a reason why Jones wouldn't be there, as he died in VI. Lando, not so much. he would still be alive.

BL.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

I am excited to see Star Wars again and hope they do it justice.
The Abrams movies completely spit on the ideals Star Trek. Good Trek deals with morality and/or the human condition. It addresses issues like prejudice, vengeance, shortsightedness, and sacrifice. Now I'll give you that Into Darkness started out with elements of good trek, but sadly the whole thing quickly devolved into a mindless action flick the second "Khan" came out with those ridiculously large guns.

Last edited:

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Since the last two Abrams' Star Trek films were based off of the original star trek 2, can we assume that he'll base the new Star Wars off Empire?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Since the last two Abrams' Star Trek films were based off of the original star trek 2, can we assume that he'll base the new Star Wars off Empire?

A chance, yes.. but that will also give him a bit more leeway with creativity without worrying about the consequences.

With how he handled Star Trek, with Vulcan being destroyed and Spock's mother getting killed, that rewrites the TNG timeline, which now really wouldn't exist.

He won't have the consequences issue with this, as this is post, not pre.

BL.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I haven't seen anything about it. However, I usually try and ignore that as I want to be surprised when I see it in the theaters.

Ok, I have a possible plot synopsis. Please do not read any further. I don't know if it is true or not. So read at your own discretion.

SECOND DRAFT FOR THE NEW STAR WARS MOVIE
Leia is made leader of the Republic after her predecessor's death
Han is a retired veteran of the Republic fleet
Luke hasn't been seen in nearly 30 years
the lead character is Han and Leia's daughter
the other lead is the child of Lando, and either a male or female depending on who is cast
the other lead is a Stormtrooper, also either a male or female depending on who is cast
dialogue for these two characters is very rough in the second draft
Luke has no known offspring
The Empire still exists in the form of a number of loyal systems and are in a state of cold war with the Republic
The Empire is simply referred to as the "Empire," and the Republic is referred to formally only once, as the "Galactic Republic;" no "New" anywhere
There are no Jedi whatsoever, and people still speak as if they are extinct, with Luke being "the last of his kind"
The main antagonists are an older student of the Emperor, and his apprentice
The apprentice takes control of the power dynamic between the two pretty quickly...
The Republic are excavating ruins on a neutral world for a weapon; the world factors into tense negotiations the Empire have had with the Republic, and is referred to as the "Sith Homeworld"
Loredump: In the script, the Sith are a couple thousand years old, founded by an ancestor of Palpatine called Ruin; the apprentice in this film also goes by that name
the ruins within the Sith Homeworld are a control station; the planet itself is the weapon
Luke saves the day at the end, but in a bad way; he has changed

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
It's cool Oscar Isaac will be in it. I thought he was great in "Inside Llewyn Davis". I'm sure he'll be good in this movie.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Ok, I have a possible plot synopsis. Please do not read any further. I don't know if it is true or not. So read at your own discretion.

SECOND DRAFT FOR THE NEW STAR WARS MOVIE
Leia is made leader of the Republic after her predecessor's death
Han is a retired veteran of the Republic fleet
Luke hasn't been seen in nearly 30 years
the lead character is Han and Leia's daughter
the other lead is the child of Lando, and either a male or female depending on who is cast
the other lead is a Stormtrooper, also either a male or female depending on who is cast
dialogue for these two characters is very rough in the second draft
Luke has no known offspring
The Empire still exists in the form of a number of loyal systems and are in a state of cold war with the Republic
The Empire is simply referred to as the "Empire," and the Republic is referred to formally only once, as the "Galactic Republic;" no "New" anywhere
There are no Jedi whatsoever, and people still speak as if they are extinct, with Luke being "the last of his kind"
The main antagonists are an older student of the Emperor, and his apprentice
The apprentice takes control of the power dynamic between the two pretty quickly...
The Republic are excavating ruins on a neutral world for a weapon; the world factors into tense negotiations the Empire have had with the Republic, and is referred to as the "Sith Homeworld"
Loredump: In the script, the Sith are a couple thousand years old, founded by an ancestor of Palpatine called Ruin; the apprentice in this film also goes by that name
the ruins within the Sith Homeworld are a control station; the planet itself is the weapon
Luke saves the day at the end, but in a bad way; he has changed
Hmm, well Mark Hamill has proven he can play one hell of a sadistic bastard through his rendition of the Joker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.