Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drenline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Never installed anything from steam on my rMBP yet. I know CSGO works since some of my buddies have it on their MBP's, but do all the other Steam games install fine on OSX too?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
No. Each game has an icon for every OS it can run on. Some games will run on OS X, Windows and Linux, while others only one system or a combination of systems.

You need to check the system requirements before you buy a game thinking it will work on OS X.

Renzatic

Suspended
Or to sum it up more simply, if the game has an OSX rev on Steam, then you'll have it regardless of what OS you initially bought it on.

Case in point, when I hopped over to Linux for a bit, I had about 60 of my 110 odd Windows bought games waiting for me there. If it had a Linux rev, I owned it on Steam, and when games were ported later, it immediately came available to me the moment it appeared on the service.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Once you've installed the Steam client and logged into your account, mouse over the Library menu and select "Mac" from the drop-down list. All games in your library that have OS X ports available will then be listed, but not the ones that don't.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
...did you just have a stroke? o_O
No, that's what a stroke looks like:
DUD3, 1Ph j00Z d0|\|'7 54\/\/'/ 7|-|3 L1|\|90, j00R L4/\/\3.

(CoD BlOps = Call of Duty: Black Ops, if you really didn't know…)

Can PC only Steam games run in a WINE skin? Would they work with Steam? I'm also wondering how well Steam games would run in a virual machine...

I will probably check into this. I bought a few Steam game bundles that have PC only games...
There's no general answer to that. Some do, some don't. You can check the WineHQ app database to get an idea. But basically, it's possible when you install the Windows version of Steam in a Wineskin wrapper.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
…except CoD BlOps.

Forgot about that one. I actually own the OS X and Windows versions, and for some reason they both show up in my Steam library in either operating system.

I don't know of any other games that are available on Steam that have Mac ports but are not Steamplay. Perhaps Aspyr-Blair or Edwin from Feral can enlighten us.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Forgot about that one. I actually own the OS X and Windows versions, and for some reason they both show up in my Steam library in either operating system.

I don't know of any other games that are available on Steam that have Mac ports but are not Steamplay. Perhaps Aspyr-Blair or Edwin from Feral can enlighten us.

sure there was another but can't think of it.

there are some games though that are out for pc on steam, and out for mac but its not on steam. Company of Heroes, Batman Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, Doom 3, LOTR War in the North, thats just the games in my library that are this way.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx

BLOPS is the only one that I know of. Obviously we wanted it to be SteamPlay with cross platform MP, but sometimes we dont get to choose :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.