Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
Hi, I'm thinking of buying an ATV-2 from the store. But not sure what firmware it'll come with and was wondering if you can JB with only a specific firmware. So I think 6.1.1 is the latest firmware and is that JB'able?

Cheers

Steve-Jobs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2010
oh. well if it's brand new, it will come with whatever version was out when the 3rd gen was released back in march 2012. i believe it was 5.x.x.
I still don't want to risk it being unable to Jailbreak. Altough I can return it the next day if it's the newest firmware.

cheers

HenryLong

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Germany
I still don't want to risk it being unable to Jailbreak. Altough I can return it the next day if it's the newest firmware.

cheers

No matter what firmware it comes with you can jailbreak every ATV2 using SeasonPass. In order to jailbreak it SeasonPass automatically installs the latest firmware (5.3) which allows untethered jailbreak.
Even if your ATV2 comes with any newer firmware SeasonPass will downgrade to 5.3

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Hi, I'm thinking of buying an ATV-2 from the store. But not sure what firmware it'll come with and was wondering if you can JB with only a specific firmware. So I think 6.1.1 is the latest firmware and is that JB'able?

Cheers
I guess your choice is buying this ATV2 so you can jailbreak it or waiting for the TAV3 and see what it offers. Second hand ATV2's sell for double that of new ATV3, depends how important the jailbreak is to you vs seeing what ATV3 offers

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
No matter what firmware it comes with you can jailbreak every ATV2 using SeasonPass. In order to jailbreak it SeasonPass automatically installs the latest firmware (5.3) which allows untethered jailbreak.
Even if your ATV2 comes with any newer firmware SeasonPass will downgrade to 5.3

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605-Jailbreaking-101-Seas0nPass

this. I did this to my ATV2 a few months ago and all went well

I guess your choice is buying this ATV2 so you can jailbreak it or waiting for the TAV3 and see what it offers. Second hand ATV2's sell for double that of new ATV3, depends how important the jailbreak is to you vs seeing what ATV3 offers

my plan is to sell my jailbroken ATV2 when a new ATV is announced and use the funds to buy the new one (plus other stuffs with the extra $$) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.